• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Getting it "lime green"

I'm having almost the same problem: lime green in the evening but dark green when the lights go on. CO2 goes on and shuts off 2 hours before the lighting. What's the best solution, simply increase the bps? The light are on for 2 hours atm and I can already see some air bubbles under the leaves. I don't know if that's something to keep in mind.

Getting it "lime green"

I may have missed on the earliest posts, but why so much interest on the drop checker color? :) i've seen a tank that had a drop checker on each corner of the tank and some where light green, others dark green, it varies. :)

I don't know what is the secret of success, but the secret of failure is trying to please the world!

Re: Getting it

ghostsword said:
I may have missed on the earliest posts, but why so much interest on the drop checker color? :) i've seen a tank that had a drop checker on each corner of the tank and some where light green, others dark green, it varies. :)

Well it was me who sort of side tracked the thread :oops: .

I was trying to understand that if a drop checker can take up to 2 hours to respond, how do people achieve a lime green at lights on after only 2 hours CO2? In my case my drop checker is blue at lights on. It's green two hours in and lime green at lights off. I just wondered if I would be better off trying to achieve green at lights on by turning CO2 on an hour earlier and knocking it off an hour earlier so the CO2 was more consistant during the photo period?

Getting it "lime green"

Ah ok. If you see such a difference between lights on and middle of the day then there is something odd with the time. :) I would star the co2 about 2 hours before lights on. Or actually measure how long does it take for the solution to change.

I don't know what is the secret of success, but the secret of failure is trying to please the world!

Hi
Before the Co2 is switched on albeit the drop checker is already Green not Blue.
So 2 hours later when the lights switch on....... and the Co2 has been running the drop checker is already changing to Lime Green.
So you need to try and conserve the Co2 in your aquarium when lights switch off....this can be a fine balance if you have livestock/critters as Tom Barr/Plantbrain would say o_O
You dont want to be stressing/suffocating the inhabitants just for the sake of a Lime Green drop checker.
Cheers
hoggie

I can see what you are saying but my Co2 comes on 2 hrs before lights and the d/c is blueish. I stop my Co2 at 8PM so I don't see how I'm going to conserve Co2 through to the next day?

I can turn it on 3 hours before and it the d/c might be green then at lights on.

Am I doing something wrong or just getting too bogged down in this :?

PeteA said:
How much surface agitation do you have in your tank? Sounds like you're loosing CO2 overnight.

It's not breaking the surface, looks like a stong heat haze. The spray bar holes are about 4cm below the water, I have an UP inline diffuser on the output of my Eheim 2078.

Alright, my DC is light green when the lights go on. Is this sufficient or does it really have to be lime green? Plants start producing oxygen bubbles one hour after lights on. A lot of mist in the tank though ...

Yes, this is the correct sequence of events for a normal plant load, for a tank with good flow and distribution and for a tank that is not overpowered with photonic energy. If there are abnormalities then you may need for the dropchecker to be yellow at lights on.

Cheers,

It is yellow now but no signs of fish stress so far (although they look calm, but not abnormally). Can I adjust my timer so that CO2 goes off when after half an hour when my DC gets yellow?

Back