• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Getting somwhere? pic updates

Re: more plants

Looks great mate! Have you thought of maybe growing moss on the flat end of the wood ? That would be nice IMO.
But all in all looks great, has really come along!
Nice work :D
Kris

Looking good, always great to see another successful low energy tank. Have you thought about willow moss Fontinalis antipyretica? IME it grows very quickly, perfect for hiding the not so attractive parts of bog wood etc, you just need to secure it with a few strands of cotton and away it goes.

Troi said:
Looking good, always great to see another successful low energy tank. Have you thought about willow moss Fontinalis antipyretica? IME it grows very quickly, perfect for hiding the not so attractive parts of bog wood etc, you just need to secure it with a few strands of cotton and away it goes.

cool thanks for the advice i will try to get some, shame its so hard to get hold of moss cause my tank has definately got some wood that needs covering.
Im gonna get some update pics on here this week cause i might actually need some trimming advice :D

I will be watching with interest with how this moss does for you. Could be the answer to my moss issue. I tried to moss my wood before but had no success with it. Maybe I just needed the right type!

Andy

Put a "WANTED" Ad up on here for some Fiss.
Someone will surely come to your rescue, people on here are always trying to help each other out.

Kris

Basil is sorting me out aswell,

looking forward to covering up some of my wood and hopefully adding a bit of texture to the tank, plus hopefully a nice hiding place for some baby shrimp.

Need to get some kind of sheeting pronto !

Really impressed with the moss Basil sent me (thankyou) I only planted a quarter to see how it looked and on next water change i will be planting the lot :D

Had my first trim in the tank, only a couple of stems but it was still a trim :lol:
Easer forgot his camera so i did not take any pics but will take some tonight with mine.

Totally gutted i bought a chocolate zebra plec which i absolutely loved and was devastated to find him dead last night :(

somethingfishy said:
Really impressed with the moss Basil sent me (thankyou) I only planted a quarter to see how it looked and on next water change i will be planting the lot :D

Had my first trim in the tank, only a couple of stems but it was still a trim :lol:
Easer forgot his camera so i did not take any pics but will take some tonight with mine.

Totally gutted i bought a chocolate zebra plec which i absolutely loved and was devastated to find him dead last night :(

Hi sounds like the tank is coming on nicely. Sorry about the plec. Any ideas why ?

I can only think he starved himself ... i introduced a pepermint plec three weeks ago and he seems fine, so loosely based on that i think my water is fine.

but im no plec expert, truly hope it was nothing i did cause they are such an attractive fish. Dunno if i will be able to find another one, that was the first i have seen in a lfs.

Hi all,
Hi sounds like the tank is coming on nicely. Sorry about the plec. Any ideas why ?
I keep L129 which is similar, I don't think it would be a food problem, as Hypancistrus eat most things (but only at night, so I always feed mine after lights out). They do have a very high oxygen requirement (higher than Ancistrus etc), and my suspicion is that most deaths relate to low oxygen at night, particularly if the fish has been near the top of the tank, and or the filter outflow.

This is one of the down-sides to keeping them, if they are happy you never see them during the day at all.

cheers Darrel

thanks for the info... suprised as he stayed at the bottom.

Hmm i would love another but i certainly dont want to cause another death of such a fine fish. My tank is nearly covered by frogbit and duckweed, plus two other floaters which i have no idea what they are? So hopefully this increases my oxygen content. If i managed to find another would it be good to run an air pump at night?

Hey man I am absolutely gutted for you I know how stoaked you were to find one :thumbdown:

As I have said before mine is such a guts she will now feed light on or off, but I didn't see her feed for months as they are such good night time scavengers so starvation would surprise me.

Just out of interest what temp do you keep the tank at? C. Zebras like it fairly warm at 27 - 30C. I keep mine at a minimum of 27C. Yours is a larger tank how do you heat it. I don't heat inline and as it is a large tank I run 2 heaters 1 x 200w by the filter intake and a 300w by the out take. I use juwel heaters so I can keep them vertical and hide them by the pipes.

One other question how did yu acclimate the fish? I have always drip aclimiated my plecs over 1 - 2 hrs adding a small amount of water every 10mins.

Sorry for asking basic questions and I don't want to seem like I am teaching you to suck eggs but if I can try and help you with this you may feel more confident to try again in the future.

awtong said:
Hey man I am absolutely gutted for you I know how stoaked you were to find one :thumbdown:

As I have said before mine is such a guts she will now feed light on or off, but I didn't see her feed for months as they are such good night time scavengers so starvation would surprise me.

Just out of interest what temp do you keep the tank at? C. Zebras like it fairly warm at 27 - 30C. I keep mine at a minimum of 27C. Yours is a larger tank how do you heat it. I don't heat inline and as it is a large tank I run 2 heaters 1 x 200w by the filter intake and a 300w by the out take. I use juwel heaters so I can keep them vertical and hide them by the pipes.

One other question how did yu acclimate the fish? I have always drip aclimiated my plecs over 1 - 2 hrs adding a small amount of water every 10mins.

Sorry for asking basic questions and I don't want to seem like I am teaching you to suck eggs but if I can try and help you with this you may feel more confident to try again in the future.

Help is always apreciated :)

my tank runs at 25c so this would not of helped, what a stupid mistake to make!!
I have been thinking of setting a puffer tank up for a while but im now tempted to do alot more research and maybe try again with c.zebra in a purpose built tank.

I was pretty careful introducing the plec to the tank and was impressed with how active he was during the week, totally gutted by this and even more so because it was probably my fault :thumbdown:

Re: Happy tank .. Awful pics

Happy with the tank atm .. learning about growing which is the main aim :D

Hopefully I might learn abit about photography by the next tank :oops: My wife was so amazed by how bad I have made the pics look, that she is now having a belemy moment :lol:

The usual two pics ... cause all the little angles I try looked even worst!

fish4edit.jpg

Definately noticing the growth now which is great, my giant vallis is finally sending out some runners, so i will eventually give the tank a comb over my grandad would be proud of.

fish4edit1.jpg

I was hoping to take a couple of pics of the new moss that Basil sent me but the close ups just did not work. Even worst I managed to get a pic of my very secretive pepermint plec but when i opened it there was just a blur, and he was not even swimming!!!

Happy with my tank progress not my photography :lol:

Back