• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
This is really gorgeous, that wood is awesome! cant wait to see it fill out.

I love killis I've had many species over the years. Since your tank is quite large and killis are generally quite small have you thought about adding a larger species like Fundulopanchax sjoestedti?

why not add some african species, like a big school of congo tetra etc

looking great and very Natural. Im sure the killis will love mixing in the plants and wood.

by jbirley » Tue May 22, 2012 1:08 pm

This is really gorgeous, that wood is awesome! cant wait to see it fill out.
Thank you. I am happy with the wood also. Took me over 12 hours to tie all the ferns onto it! :crazy:

pariahrob » Tue May 22, 2012 1:46 pm
Wow, that looks superb. Looks like the tank has been going ages. Nice job!
by Ady34 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:40 pm
looking great and very Natural. Im sure the killis will love mixing in the plants and wood.
Thank you both. I found it quite hard to judge how many plants would be needed. In the end I ordered far too many - 54 pots of crypt too many to be precise :lol: - 19 pots of C. lucens (most of which I have now sold on) and 35 C. willisii which will be arriving tomorrow. I decided to only use one species of crypt (C. nevilii) to create a more natural look. I have read that C willisii and C nevillii are the same, so I might just cram in some more of the willisii when they come in tomorrow.

Derek Tweedie » Tue May 22, 2012 2:06 pm

I love killis I've had many species over the years. Since your tank is quite large and killis are generally quite small have you thought about adding a larger species like Fundulopanchax sjoestedti?
I know it is a beautiful species and from the right region for my tank. Just look at this picture of F. sjoestedti 'Niger delta' (source;rb5killifish.blogspot.com)
Fsjoestedti.jpg

At the British Killifish Association auction last month these jewels were going for £5 a pair. I have seen them in the shop selling for £30 a pair! Unfortunately, they will grow too large for my liking - 13cm. I know its a 5ft tank but a killi this size will really restrict the other killis I will be able to keep it with, so I will probably not go for this one.

creg » Tue May 22, 2012 3:03 pm
why not add some african species, like a big school of congo tetra etc
The tank will be stocked with West African fish only from Nigeria or Cameroon.

There are a few killis that shoal. I am thinking of going for a large shoal of lamp eyes, Aplocheilichthys normani. Another reason I could not keep F. sjoestedti as they only grow to 4-5cm.
pic source http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VIS ... 0706364460
lampeye.jpg

A challenge with keeping several species of killis in a community tank is that the females of the Aphyosemion group look very similar, making it difficult to select a pair for breeding in the future. Also some species can interbreed (usually producing infertile hybrids) and mixing Aphyosemion species in a tank is often frowned upon in the killi keeper community for this reason.

I am thinking of going for Fundulopanchax gardneri, possibly F. g. nigerianus “Akure”
pic source http://www.gardneri.fische-killifische.de
akure.jpg

The female on the right is typical of females in the Aphyosemion group

Females from the Chromaphyosemion splendopleure are an exception as they have a clearly visible band running along their width.
pic source; http://www.chroma.fische-killifische.de
image004.jpg

At the April BKA auction, I bought three pairs of Chromaphyosemion splendopleure, from the “Tiko/ Big Ikange Camp” location.
pic source; http://www.chroma.fische-killifische.de
Tiko_Big_Ikange_Camp.jpg

In terms of non killi tank mates from the region, I am considering Pelvicachromis, possibly Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Nigeria Red' as pictured below. Clearly much larger than any of the killis, I think/hope the tank will be large enough with plenty of plants and hiding places to allow for the Pelvicachromis to co-exist with the killis, even when breeding.
pic source; http://www.flickriver.com/photos/aquarianer/6658657989
6658657989_42e69afa58.jpg

Also thinking about Microsynodontis batesii, although these will have to wait for quite a while to allow the plants to become fully established as I am a bit worried these little fellows will level the mounds of gravel i have so carefully created.
pic source; http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/Mi ... is-batesii
m_batesii6.jpg

Re: giant tank for killis - update day 15

week2038-1.jpg

week2016.jpg

week2030.jpg

Good growth on needle. Crypts are growing roots nicely (as they are planted in cat litter, they do still come up easily).

Added some more plants. Was able to pick up some Anubias bonsai and petite. Also transferred some rare plants from my office tank which I obtained through Dutch planted tank forums;
week2037.jpg

Nymphoides ezannoi and Potamogeton schweinfurthii

week2035.jpg

Potamogeton gayi

Had some algae issues, as described in this thread http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21848. I changed the direction of the flow from one of the filter outlets containing CO2. I use spray bars mounted vertically at both back corners (connected to in-line UP atomiser).

Before both spraybars pointed to the front.
oldspray-2.jpg

Now one of the spray bars points towards the flow created by the output of the second filter (shown in pink).
newspray-1.jpg

The outcome seems to be that the flow from both filters now complement each other and there is stronger current going on (left to right at the back and right to left at the front). Fingers crossed that this addresses the issue and that problems are not shifted to another place instead!

Over the weekend, I went to the annual Midland Charity Fish Auction in Redditch run by TA Aquaculture.
fishauction2.jpg

fishauction1.jpg

These auctions are a really good opportunity to pick up (often unusual and rare) fish at super low prices, plus get to talk to the breeders and gain valuable tips on how to look after/ breed them. Prices were ridiculously low; for example breeding pairs of electric blue rams were going for £4 a pair, pairs of kribs for £3 etc.

I was able to constrain myself and only bought one pair of fish :woot:, who had the honour to be the first to go in.

Chromaphyosemion bivittatum "Funge"
week2050.jpg

week2012.jpg

Really need to get some snails and shrimps in there. Since this tank will house fish from Nigeria and Cameroon, ottos and the other standard algae-eating fish are out. Have been doing some research to see if I can find any shrimps from that region - have found names of species but nowhere that sells them.
So will probably have to make an exception and buy some non African snails and shrimps. Probably red ramshorns and amano shrimps.

Thanks for looking,

Andre

Re: giant tank for killis - photo update day 15

This is a sure fire stunner waiting to mature! Love the intended fish choice... Will be a nice change from the norm!

Wish i'd known about that fish event, live really close to Redditch! Is it a regular occurrence?

by Polyester » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:41 pm

Like it a lot! Cant wait to see how it develops and mature!
Thanks Polyester. I can't wait either - which is why I keep scouring plant forums here and elsewhere for more ferns to fill it out :lol:. Have since added some more (thanks to JohnC, antipofish and ghostworld) and found a rare Microsorium on a Dutch plant forum which should arrive later this week; M. p. 'Thorn's hammer'.

by Little-AL » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:19 pm

This is a sure fire stunner waiting to mature! Love the intended fish choice... Will be a nice change from the norm!

Wish i'd known about that fish event, live really close to Redditch! Is it a regular occurrence?
Cheers Little-Al. The auctions at Redditch are annual events, organised by TA Aquaculture, usually in June. Other fish auctions are held at the same venue, including the British Cichlid Association. TA Aquaculture's website http://www.ta-aquaculture.co.uk/ usually has details of forthcoming auctions in the area, as well as the auctions of the British Killifish Association where I source most of my killis.

I have a shipment of 75 lampeye killifish and 50 amano shrimps arriving on Tuesday from Singapore. I know I am taking a bit of a risk to add such large numbers to my tank in one go, and without quarantine as well. Hopefully I can manage the extra load with additional water changes in the first few days...

Will post update with some pics later in the week.

giant tank for killis - photo update day 15

Fantastic aquarium,you have put so much work into it.Are you a BKA member ? Wondered if you know when their next auction is ? I went to the one in Surrey in April,but can't remember if they hold another one there,or whether it just one very year.

Thanks,

Jon

:D thanks Jon. Yes, I am a BKA member. There are a few auctions coming up. The next one will be in York on 15 July. The BKA will then hold their annual convention in Buxton (Derbyshire) on the weekend of the 5-7 October, which will include two auctions (including all the prize winning showfish at the end). The next auction in Weybridge has been pencilled in for 9 September, but the date still needs to be confirmed. These auctions are definitely worth attending if you are interested in killifish, prices are really cheap, fish are rare and breeders are on hand to offer advice. I will post a separate thread soon in the fish section with full details of these killi auctions.

giant tank for killis - photo update day 15

Thank you very much,will look out for your post,and try to get along at least to the Weybridge auction in September.

Jon

Re: giant tank for killis - update month 3

Well over two months since my last post, time for an update.

Since my last post, I have suffered a major outbreak of hydra;
july232012126.jpg

july232012108.jpg

Probably introduced with the glassworms I have been feeding my fish. Quite fascinating little creatures, I enjoyed watching them catch live daphnia - their tentacles stunning the daphnia and pulling it towards their centre to get eaten. The fun soon wore off when every leaf in the tank was infested by them. A treatment of Flubendazole got rid of them quickly enough.

A more serious setback though was the melting of my anubias and worse, my Potamogeton schweinfurthii, a rare plant that I have now completely lost. Also the E. Parvula started going yellow and dying on me.
july232012140.jpg

Clearly, I needed to work on my flow and distribution as the CO2 was not reaching the bottom of the tank - at 60cm deep this can be a bit of a challenge. After gaining some advice - on the CO2 section of this great forum -
(http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=22048&p=225760&hilit=killi69#p225760) I went ahead with a plan to make two spray bars spanning the length of the tank. One at the back, just below the surface, pointing forwards. The other spray bar, mounted at the top of the front panel, pointing downwards and injecting CO2 towards the gravel. This way, the CO2 had the shortest route to the bottom and the combination of both bars would help create a strong circular current.

In the thread referred to above, ceg4048 posted this picture and explained;
wakevortex_large_9-14-072.jpg

... imagine looking at the tank from the right side panel. You want to form a tube along the long axis of the tank that looks from the side like this image below. The front of the tank would be on your left (where the airplane is in this image) and the back of the tank is on the right. Flow moves up from the bottom, goes across the top to the left, and then down, to be pulled across the bottom to start the cycle again.

Spray bars made from white PVC tubing;
july232012204.jpg

july232012205.jpg

july232012210.jpg

I bought an Eheim Pro3 filter, which, connected to the bar on the back panel, is powerful enough for the spray to reach the front window (60cm away). I think I have managed to achieve the effect ceg was referring to.
20120722_210445.jpg

This has really made a massive difference and the plants are so much happier now. I have over the last few months added more ferns and as you can see, everything has filled out considerably.

20120827_205611.jpg

20120827_205839.jpg

20120827_210136.jpg

20120827_103700.jpg

Also bought some Microsorum p. 'short narrow leaf' from Aquamoos in Germany, described as the smallest java fern, supposedly not growing taller than 8cm but usually staying between 3-5 cm. Came supplied on neat little mats measuring about 4 square cm.
27Aug2012003.jpg

Also bought some Bolbitis heteroclita from Aquamoos as well as some Bolbitis 'spec baby' from an eBay seller. I tied the M. p. short narrow leaf and B. baby spec to the higher ends of the branches in the tank, which are fast disappearing in a mass of green!
20120827_105231.jpg

The Aponogeton Crispus Reds at the back of the tank are growing well now. A little too well almost. One has grown so large that I am concerned they might become too overwhelming. This large specimen has produced a massive stalk - about 5ft long! - with a flower at the end.
20120822_225100.jpg

27Aug2012022-1.jpg

As for the fish, I have been patient and waiting for the right ones to come along. So far, I only have;

Chromaphyosemion splendopleure 'Tiko Big Ikanga Camp' - 3 pairs
july232012089.jpg

and
Fundulopanchax gardneri makurdi - 3 pairs
20120827_110443.jpg

Also, some Amano shrimps which have been a little timid since the introduction of the F. garderi. Since the gardneris have been introduced, the shrimps have been clinging to the top of a branch in a far corner of the tank and a few have even escaped. Not sure if this is definitely due the boisterous behaviour of the fish though. In the beginning, the gardneris did chase the shrimps a little but have now given up and I think the shrimps (2 weeks on) are slowly starting to explore the tank again.

Still waiting for a shoal of 75 normanii lampeyes. ADC have ordered them in twice for me, and both times all fish perished in quarantine...

Good to see the spray bars have had such a positive effect - I've also ditched my lily pipes in favour of the same thing, as it really seems to offer a noticeably better result!

Looking absolutely fantastic Andre :thumbup:
The spraybars have had a noticeable effect, I remember reading that thread where Clive posted that pic and it's great to see its effects put into practice and the benefits to be gained from persistence and following good advice.
It's looking like the natural haven you had planned for your killis now!
Really like it.
Cheerio
Ady

looking really smart now killi, good to see the spraybars have done their work.
Lovely looking killi's too mate, looking forward to seeing what else goes in. When i had lampeye's they looked very cool with blue leds as moonlight, if you dont feel weird being watched from the darkness :)

Back