• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glass/Acrylic spray bar and inlet

Mike Hughes

hi all

I know this has probably been done to death.

But looking to get rid of my ugly spraybar and fit a nice glass/acrylic one.

any recommendations ?

Tank is 3 foot long.

20140330_163944-1.jpg

cheers

Mike

I just went to a plastic specialized shop and bought the double I needed to make sure I had at least for two attempts. Really cheap, I can't remember but maybe 2 euros per meter. Just copy the model you have... no more secrets. I have seen nice acrylic ones on aquarium shops online but I don't know if they will be ok for your setup. Some of my drills are not exactly straight because I want to avoid a piece of wood or so. I try to fine tune the spraybar... I guess this is the advantage of the DIY approach

Jordi

yeah no worries. I'm not on here that much. But remind me via pm or something :)

May have a go at DIY acrylic. Won't be for another week or so though..

The grey connector bit on the left (not the bend) is just a fluval connector, and the bit in the middle is a bit of tubing to hold the 2 bars together. Nothing flash lol.
The grey bend bit, just shapes the tube contained within it to get the right direction. If that makes sense. Spray bar kit can be bought online for a tenner or so... Not that good IMO!![DOUBLEPOST=1396292337][/DOUBLEPOST]What I really want to do is, have the acrylic spray bar, then a right angle bend, then up and over the aquarium, then down the back of it...

How to bend it? Just heat it ??

If you don't mind spending a bit of money.....

http://www.overclock.net/t/1388300/acrylic-pipebending-101

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Bending-Cord--Accessories-cid-2907.html you really need a a bending kit you probably can get it cheaper but you need to have the right internal diameter. You'll be okay with id12 x od16 tbh.

You could get a long enough length having it U bending into the tank, then turning 90 degrees into the spray bar. I have thought about doing this but I can't justify spending £40 quid on a spray bar. Maybe if I decide to do my PC water loop in acrylic I could justify the price :D

Oh and I got rid of the white connector and just chopped a 2" bit of gray 16x22 hose to connect it, It doesn't quite stand out as much.

Hmmm. Not too sure about that kit. Probably make a mess of it and end up wasting too much money.

Sounds silly. But can a heat it over a stove, rotate it and bend into shape? Knowing me I'd melt it lol. Only one way to find out.

May get 3m of that tube so have plenty to ruin lol.. So theoretically 16mm OD pipe should fit my 16 ID tubing. Bit of heat on the tube and vaseline. Sounds wrong!

I made some to replace the ehiem green ones they were ok. It wasn't long before I went for sexy glass ware. Thing is with the glassware is it looks good outside the tank too. Go on get some Lillies.;) I think Daniel had some in the forsales cheap.

I've got a glass lily outflow. But the flow is ridiculous and too concentrated. Just blows like a gale in the tank. Plus with he rim on the tank it doesn't fit very well... even where the spraybar holes are. I decided to get a power head/ wave maker thingy to get more flow around the part of tank the spraybar misses.[DOUBLEPOST=1396295307][/DOUBLEPOST]Probably go with a glass inlet though. Look very flash.

Flow..Ehiem taps sort that out. Ah I take it your tanks braced. I found my Lillies quite steady and needed a 900 korilina too.

Hmmm. Not too sure about that kit. Probably make a mess of it and end up wasting too much money.

Sounds silly. But can a heat it over a stove, rotate it and bend into shape? Knowing me I'd melt it lol. Only one way to find out.

May get 3m of that tube so have plenty to ruin lol.. So theoretically 16mm OD pipe should fit my 16 ID tubing. Bit of heat on the tube and vaseline. Sounds wrong!

if you use 10mm ID pipe you can use thick electrical cord, you really need something with a slightly smaller diameter inside or the pipe just crumbles up (first hand experience). A heat gun is the best option I picked one up pretty cheap at wilkos, on the plus side you can use it to strip paint :D.

Back