Glass canopy or not?

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by firstman, 14 Sep 2009.

1. firstman

firstman Member

So what do you guys think? Is a glass canopy necessary on a tank? If not worried about any inhabitants jumping out, do you really need one? Advantages/Disadvantages. Any thoughts/comments welcome.

The reason for posting is I want to reposition my diffuser closer to the front, but canopy in the way. Would have tubing going across side of tank unless I remove it.

Thanks in advance.

2. firstman

firstman Member

No opinions?

3. JamesM

JamesM Member

Depends on your setup. If its a rimless, braceless tank, thank covers can look silly.

On the other hand, having on will help keep the water level high. I'm constantly topping my 60cm tank up by as much as a litre or more a day.

4. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Yeh guess its personaly taste. I dont use them but I can see the advantage of them. If the tank is rimless and braceless you may not be able have anything to rest it on anyway.

Sam

5. firstman

firstman Member

Thanks for the replies. My tank did have a brace in the middle, but I cut it off because I didn't like the shadow the light made in the tank. I think I like it better without a canopy personally. As long as the only affect is evaporation, I am fine with it.

6. baron von bubba

baron von bubba Member

keep in mind the evaporation can have a knock on effect to your co2 levels if the surface gets more disturbed as the water level drops.
    so its worth keeping it topped up! ;0)