• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glass cleaning at substrate levek

aliclarke86

Any one have any tips for me in this? I am constantly knocking plants and wafting the substrate around unearthing roots when I use a toothbrush....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Cheers George I think I can probably fashion something along those lines... glass scraper and a stick :D

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yes, credit card is great for getting between substrate and glass (perfect for preventing BGA), but I find sometimes the algae build-up at and just above the substrate can be very stubborn. The stainless steel blade of the scraper I linked makes it a bit easier and in shallow tank you don't even need to get your hand wet. :)

The blade always givers me the shivers, I usually opt for the good old credit card, the lighter the colour the easier to see the algae in front.. If you can get a lending hand in to follow up with a suction pipe behind, that's also great. My new most rewarding method is to gently move back the gravel where I can or in stages and then let my young ancistrus brigade have a party, the next morning the glass is crystal clear..

I breed and rotate a cleaning squad of about 30 to 40 veil ancistrus in my big planted tank, when they reach 50mm they go to the LPS and make way for the latest batch. I find they are more efficient cleaners and can get into smaller places when they are a younger age and size..

I use this: Tetratec Aquarium Glass Scraper

Can't fault it to be honest, nice long handle so you can do the main glass hands dry and for the subtle low level clean just hold the tool lower down its shaft (Ooer missus lol) and get yer hands in.

Does a really good job. The white area around the blade lets you know if you've got all the cack off ;)

Back