Glass Top?

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by tennis4you, 18 Oct 2008.

1. tennis4you

tennis4you Member

I have a 6' long tank with 3 glass tops across it. It makes the tank much harder to clean since I have to move 2 sets of lights to move the glass tops. I cannot get my hand to the back of the tank to grab debri without moving those glass tops. So...

Do you guys/gals have glass tops? Do you just run the tank without a top? My lights currently sit on the glass, are they OK to hover over open water? Sounds iffy.

My other concern is my 3 year old son, but he is not around the tank much. I do have (2) rope fish, they might enjoy the top off as well as those buggers are escape artists...

The lights I have are the Nova Extreme 2' long 45 watts.

Thanks!!!

2. Thomas McMillan

Thomas McMillan Member

Loads of people have open tops, even though I have never tried it for a number of reasons.

I'm not sure about your lights but usually you can attatch them to the side of the tank with a clip or something? They'd be fine above open water if they're attatched properly. Failing that yhou could get two planks of wood and just rest the light accress them or something.