• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Gluing Rocks

ianh

Seedling
Just obtained some nice pieces of Seiryu rock. The one piece I would like to use as a tall structure will not quite stand as its based is not perfectly level. I was wondering if I could fix a piece of rock to it to make its base more stable. Does anybody know if there a 'glue' (or alternative method) that is strong enough to do this and is safe to use within the aquarium?

Thanks,

Ian

Silicone glue is safe, as is super glue. Be careful the rock doesn't fall over and hit your glass.

Drill the two pieces and use a stainless steel rod to join them.
You can also use titanium bicycle spokes - your local bike shop might have some spare. (non-corrosive in sea water).

I've used aquarium silicone to glue cork to slate, and it doesn't bond very well, so I wouldn't use that method if there is likely to be shearing pressure on it. It works to just hold things in place though.
Can't help on modern glues, I'm afraid.
cheers phil

Thanks for the suggestions. My greatest fear is the rock falling over and hitting the glass. I may go 'belt and braces,' drilling it, using a stainless rod, also using silicon or super glue. Another thing I thought about was trying to get the base cut so that it is level. This would add to the stability.

Back