• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glutaraldehyde (generic Excel) suppliers in UK

Vaevictus

Seedling
Hi,

I've posted this very same question on another forum but figure a forum specific to the UK would be a better idea :D

I am looking for pre-diluted (ie <5%) glutaraldehyde solution to use instead of excel/aquacarbon/plantedbox.

In the US they sell it under Metricide or Cidex which works out miles cheaper than the above listed aquarium brands. ($12.00 per gallon!!)

Anyone had any luck getting pre-diluted glutaraldehyde cheap in Europe?

Regards.
craig

Nobody?

Ive found plantedbox's generic stuff and ordered some of that for the time being but still miles more expensive / litre than metricide.

I dont want to get into a large discussion about Glut.

In my opinion, metricide = Excel, just in a bit more concentrated form.

Dont believe the Excel hype.....

It's used in a lot of other processes - I'd have thought it should be fairly easy to get hold of (try university anatomy labs?) but I haven't tried myself.

Do you need it to be diluted? Is it not possible to use a higher concentration and simply dose with a smaller volume - your tank will do the dilution? (industrial problems are only going to arise if you plan on inhaling it as you dose up, which should be fairly easily avoided)

but then again, I haven't tried... only thought it might be wise one day.

Vaevictus said:
...In my opinion, metricide = Excel, just in a bit more concentrated form...
It's the "bit more concentrated" part that kills things and makes it a health risk for people to handle.

Cheers,

magpie said:
It's used in a lot of other processes - I'd have thought it should be fairly easy to get hold of (try university anatomy labs?) but I haven't tried myself.

Do you need it to be diluted? Is it not possible to use a higher concentration and simply dose with a smaller volume - your tank will do the dilution? (industrial problems are only going to arise if you plan on inhaling it as you dose up, which should be fairly easily avoided)

but then again, I haven't tried... only thought it might be wise one day.
Hi,

I would prefer to buy it prediluted (a la metricide) for the safety concerns. I do not want to mix super concentrated stuff myself...because that's when it really starts to become dangerous.
Regards,

hmm... yes but anatomy labs and the like use it at handlable solutions - or at least, it seemed so in the days when I was doing dissections... but that was over 20 years ago, so things may have changed.

Back