• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Going Dutch Tropica 1-2 Grow Style

Nicely put George. There is no tangent to go off, these kinds of comments are gems in journals IMO.

The UG is the only (well not the only thing) I'm really bothered about from start up. I just hope I can make it through the first couple of weeks with it. I will use all my skills, including talking to my plants...

If anyone ever needs any MS paint tuition please give me a shout, as you can see, I'm like Bill Gates when it comes to Paint!

I have thought about it, as the joins are now glued I can't take the cabinet to bits. Might just leave the glass as it was on the last scape. It seemed to work ok.

For those that can't work out the plants above here's the proper list.
Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'
Ammania sp. 'Bonsai
Echinodorus tenellus
Eleocharis sp. 'mini'
Glossostigma elatinoides
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Marsilea hirsuta
Nymphoides sp. ''Taiwan''
Pogostemon erectus
Rotala macrandra
Staurogyne repens
Utricularia Graminifolia

Do you not play music to your plants too mate. I do ;)

George is right though especially about the 1 2 grow transitioning. Ive had 4ft square full carpets worth of tennelus 1 2 grow and hygro pinna 1 2 grow and they have transitioned brilliantly. Ive had zero melt and growth is fantastic and that's in a low tech.

Im really looking forward to seeing how this goes from tiny plants to a lovely Dutch garden mate.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

They've got the new 'Beady eye' album to be going on with at the moment.

I'm quite looking forward to getting the plants now...I wish I didn't have 13 hours of work tomorrow.

This is an interesting project you've started, Ian, and good choice of plants too. I love Ammania `Bonzai´, especially for a dutch style tank, because you can keep it low-trimmed and planted in a close cluster to almost mimic a hardscape.
I'm sure you can get lots of advice from Michael and Mark on what to do (And what not to do) with a full 1-2-grow tank and I'm sure it will be very interesting to follow.

That is very interesting one, Ian! Will keep an eye on it! Quite a challenge as well! ;)

This is an interesting project you've started, Ian, and good choice of plants too. I love Ammania `Bonzai´, especially for a dutch style tank, because you can keep it low-trimmed and planted in a close cluster to almost mimic a hardscape.
I'm sure you can get lots of advice from Michael and Mark on what to do (And what not to do) with a full 1-2-grow tank and I'm sure it will be very interesting to follow.

Thanks for the comment, hopefully I can do the plants proud.

That is very interesting one, Ian! Will keep an eye on it! Quite a challenge as well! ;)

Cheers Antoni, it's very much a challenge. I hope I can do it and it won't fall flat on its face.

Ian.......... you can do it (if needed wth a littl hel from your frinds, as song goes ;))
Mick.

Cheers Antoni, it's very much a challenge. I hope I can do it and it won't fall flat on its face.
sure it wont Ian, no doubt it will challenge you but you will rise to it.
Only thing i would mention is having read from Tom Barr that UG isnt keen on new nutrient rich substrate? No experience with it personally so couldnt comment from experience. It is a beaut of a plant!
Very keen to see you develop another show stopper. :thumbup:

I think this is an interesting topic - DSM vs normal start-up.

Tropica and most other nurseries grow almost all of their plants emerged (except the 100% aquatics like Vallisneria). They're grown in 'perfect' conditions this way with unlimited access to CO2, huge amounts of light (daylight is far brighter than aquarium lighting), and their nutrient management is amazing.

Growing plants this way allows them to build-up massive nutrient reserves and strengthens them considerably - from both a physical sense and adaptability perspective. Similar principles apply to their 1-2-Grow range - and these are actually better at adapting than regular emergent growing in the nurseries.

So these plants are really strong, really healthy and full of nourishment when we buy them fresh.

Then we stick them in our tanks - let's say using DSM.

Not so good. The lighting is poorer, nutrients control won't be as effective, and generally the plants will have a harder time at adapting to another emergent environment.

I think it is better to grow these plants right away underwater as soon as possible. This is the way they're designed to be used, and why companies like Tropica have invested so much into making the plants as healthy and strong as possible, allowing them to easily adapt to the wide variety of underwater environments that we, the hobbyists, keep in our aquariums.

Plant melt will be almost non-existent when going straight into underwater growth (submerged) if you use healthy plants from the start-off, and this is where 1-2-Grow and other lab cultured plants come into their own. Obviously your growing conditions (lighting, CO2, nutrients, circulation) need to be appropriate for success. With DSM getting these factors correct during the flooding and transition phase is even more essential.

I think the only time I'd ever bother with DSM again is to grow moss using the blender/yoghurt method.

Ian - sorry for the tangent mate! Good luck with the UG and I love your professional use of Microsoft Paint!! lol

Alternatively, they just produce plants emersed (or emerged; I do not know which is correct) because there is no algae translating into a greater profit. They also cut on the expenses with light and water (much lower levels needed). The agar option is probably even a cheaper option once optimized while guaranteeing a product of quality.

I agree that plants will always need to adapt when changing environments: dry-dry, dry-wet or wet-dry. I do not agree however that plants are in sub-optimal condition when using DSM. If you go to my journal (Quiet Little Thing) you can see that I used the DSM for a few months (I was waiting for some stuff and was keen on getting things growing), all plants have more than doubled in size and look quite healthy. I have not made any analysis but I bet that they are quite nourished. Otherwise, they wouldn't grow for 3-4 months. Even if they had built up massive reserves while in Tropica these surely cannot last this long.

Cheers Stu, and thank you for the comment. I'm not sure if there is too many streets tbh, the tank is quite deep, it's 45 cm deep so thought it'd need a few more streets. I hope it's not to many! Lol

Lol
I didn't write that original post too well, and going to disagree with myself :crazy:
I meant you might need more streets IMO,maybe the Stau?

I'm sure you will make not only the plants proud but also all of us :)

Cheers mate!

Lol
I didn't write that original post too well, and going to disagree with myself :crazy:
I meant you might need more streets IMO,maybe the Stau?

It's difficult really with pot size and not a deal of tall stems to choose from. I do get what you're say though. The tank is only 60 cm also.

Very curious how this turns out. I don't want to be nag, but two red plants next to each other is an absolute no-no in Dutch style. You won't even make it through the regional contest no matter how neat the plants look:angelic:

Marco translated all the rules ones for UKAPS: Crash course Dutch style Aquascaping | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Looking good mate.

For me the most exciting time in the whole aquascaping process is when the tank is empty. Infinite potential. Then it's closely followed by receiving loads of plants! :)

Wow that was quick, looks youve got plenty of work ahead
I'm not sure he has... ;)

Seriously though - I would consider just rinsing off the agar jelly and planting the whole pot in a 'one-r'. I've seen it done and it works a treat. Shouldn't take long at all.

Ian and I discussed this the other evening. :)

I think most of us will be surprised at how quick and healthily these plants will grow, especially with Ian behind the 'wheel'.

I'm excited.

Back