• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Goldfish Health Concern

CrazyCory42

Hi all, I know this isn’t plant related or even tropical but I didn’t know where else to go for help.

I have a 23 year old common goldfish who within the past two weeks has developed some worrying health problems.

Two weeks ago he developed a swim bladder issue, where at rest his tail would bob up so he’d be nose down in the tank. Although this seems to have improved a little.

He’s also gone off his food. I’ve not seen him eat for a week. As a result his poops are just string, there’s no actual fecal matter in there.

I’ve tested the water and the parameters are all normal. The nitrate are a little higher than normal but not by much. I’ve tried offering him different types of food but nothing. I’ve been putting 3 table spoons of aquarium salt in with each water change and his swimming has seemed to have improved slightly since I’ve done that.

Does anyone have any idea? I know he’s just a fish but my family have had him so long they’ll be heart broken when he passes.

Tank Specs:
500L tank (5ft x 2ft x 2ft)
Unheated
EFX All Pond Solutions external filter
EFX+ All Pond Solutions external filter
40% weekly water change (seachem prime)

Stocking:
1 large common goldfish

Water quality:
Ammonia 0
NO3 40 (Tap water sits at 40ppm)
NO2 0
GH 8
KH 6
pH 7.2
CI2 0

I’ve attached a video of him in case it helps. His eye is an old injury and has been red for a number of years. Video of Goldfish

What's the water temperature at the moment and what do you normally feed?
I'd be tempted to add some extra oxygenation in there,especially at the moment with the high temperatures we're having.
His body condition looks good so I wouldn't worry unduly about the not eating just yet although he still looks a bit bloated.
You could try an epsom salt bath in a separate container to see if that helps move things along.

What's the water temperature at the moment and what do you normally feed?
I'd be tempted to add some extra oxygenation in there,especially at the moment with the high temperatures we're having.
His body condition looks good so I wouldn't worry unduly about the not eating just yet although he still looks a bit bloated.
You could try an epsom salt bath in a separate container to see if that helps move things along.
I’m not sure on the temp but it’s in the coolest part of the house and it doesn’t feel as warm as my tropical tank with is sat at 24C. I’ll get another temp gage tomorrow and check it. He’s offer food early in the morning, about 5am.

Never had this disease before. Here is my very unqualified opinion...
Sometimes with aquarium salt it helps to aim for a concentration called the osmotic equilibrium, see <here>.
Very good advice above with relation to Epsom salt baths.
Methylene blue is also worth looking into as a bath, because it raises the oxygen consumption of cells, and this can help certain organs to regain their function.
Vets are quite nifty at adding weights inside the fish to keep fish level if all else fails.
Perhaps you can pipette food into the fish's mouth/throat if you gently handle it - this could be a very bad idea, I haven't got a clue.

Last edited:
Back