• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Good Canon EF-S Macro Lens. Any Suggestions?

Stickleback

Hi

I would love a good macro, I was just wondering if any of you lovely people have any lenses that you have found to be particularly amazing for aquarium photography?

R

Ive been looking at the Tamron 90mm macro f2.8.

I know LondonDragon has this and Im hoping to borrow it from him to use on my own camera before making my mind up to buy one or not.

Whats your budget and which model do you have?

I have the canon 30D, but may get the 7D soon.

Not sure about my budget yet, I sort of have a OKish macro (sigma 20-200) so am just seeing if I can find a super dooper one.

I can recommend the canon 100mm f2.8 macro its a nice lens but costs a bit more then the mass produced lenses of say tamron,and sigma,thats not to say that those companys dont make good lenses.

rufus_blackwell said:
I have the canon 30D, but may get the 7D soon.

Not sure about my budget yet, I sort of have a OKish macro (sigma 20-200) so am just seeing if I can find a super dooper one.

I have had the 7D for about 6 weeks,so far i am liking it a lot,but if your a person who doesnt like to many techi menu settings then this camera may not be for you,also the one thing i have found is on some occasions the pictures can be quite noisy in iso,s as low as 400 ,but this may be my doing as i am still trying to find the setup to suit me.

I love my Canon 100mm f/2.8 but Dan Crawford has equally good results with his 60mm. 100mm is better for closer-up stuff. It also makes a great portrait lens, as does the 60mm.

The Tamron, Tokinas and Sigmas all have similar capabilities too, but perhaps aren't as reliable.

The canon 60mm is great! I got it second hand from Ebay. I did want the 100mm but couldn't really afford it, i don't think i've missed out on much with the 60.

Here are a couple of shots, hand held under tank lighting.....
M-mezianum.jpg

Pearl.jpg

Really great shots. Im going to get a lens soon but need to have a few go's on LondonDragons one for the time being :)

Yeah, I recognised it as that straight away, Arana had it in his old tank, beautiful plant, native and likes it cooler.

So which macro lens did you settle in the end?
I went Hong Kong last week and bought myself a 100mm macro lens. Tokina branded and I really noticed the difference between Tokina and sigma. I found the Tokina to be sharper and less saturated which is what I am after.
The sigma was a little saturated to my liking and didnt focus as quickly compared to the tokina.
I got it at a really good price of £280 with international warranty for 1 year or Asia warranty for 3 years.
My camera body is the new Canon 60D. I opted against the 7D as it was a little heavier and I preferred the useful movable screen of the 60D especially when you taking photos from weird angles.

Is the Canon f2.6 100mm around £600, just there seems to be different models.

I am trying to get close up shots of fish i.e the whole body, but from a distance( like on the sofa from the tank) so as not to disturb them by moving up close. Im not sure if this is the correct type im looking for.

Are you referring to the f2.8? I dont think there is one at f2.6?

There is 2 versions I think. One has IS and the other one doesnt. I remember prices around £550 for the IS version. I never had IS before on my lens's and as stated before Tokina were able to better the price if the Sigma lens I was after.

The non IS version is around £350 when I worked it out in Hong Kong dollars. But as fair as I know these are the 2 models you are talking about.

Dan Crawford said:
If you're looking for a macro that you can use from far away then i know Saintly would recommend this, and so would i http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-70-300mm- ... B000ALLMI8

A yes thats most likely it. Thanks for that Dan. Is it an anti shake lens, or does that not really make a lot of difference?

I did mean the f2.8 100mm in my last post, made a typo. I have seen it mentioned alot so thought that was the bees knees. "IS" yeah I was wondering how much of a difference it makes, but then given the price difference one would think it might. Then again given the photo above probably not worth it for tank and fish photography?

Back