• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Good plants for low/med lighting

Getthejist

Hey guys,
I was wondering what plants do well in low/medium lighting without co2 but with ferts? As I want some plants in my 100 litre tank (my tank description is in the new member introduction bit I think or in the lighting section) but I am unsure of what plants would really thrive in this tank. The lighting currently is 20 watts but I am hoping to upgrade this (unless I don't need to) and has good circulation. Also in gallons the tank is 25 U.S gallons I believe. Help would be very appreciated as I want to get this tank planted properly quite soon as its already been up for a two weeks and all that is in there is pygmy chain sword and moss balls (the algae not the polystyrene balls wrapped in moss)

Hi,

Anubias, crypts, java ferns are the good low light staples but loads of plants will still grow at low light levels. They may look 'leggier' (not sure that's a word!) than in high light tanks but still have their own charm in my opinion.
Hygrophilla's grew well for me under really low light. Alternanthera reineckii adds a nice bit of colour at low light and so does Ludwigia repens rubin. I think Echinodorus tenellus is a great low light carpet plant.

Oh, and Limnophylla grows fine low light too.

You do still have more options than you'd imagine but just plant heavily and expect slow growth.

Hope that's some food for thought and I'll have another think tomorrow and get back to you with any more I come up with.

The anubias toxin chat has no evidence whatsoever to back it up. Something undoubtedly causes the odd shrimp or fish to die but randomly linking it to anubias in the tank is very convoluted logic. A huge number of people breed fish and shrimp with anubias and I've seen people pop one in a blender & pour it in their tank to no ill effect.

None of this proves what kills folks shrimp or fish but it does rule out anubias as the cause. Finding out the true reason involves lots of testing with 'controls' but since that is hard work and most people don't have the time or resources, it is easier to revert to a superstitious type of logic.

Since this is widespread in society as a whole, with a divine hand causing outcomes, crystals solving problems or star patterns which guide our lives, I can't blame people for illogical thinking invading a hobby.

Tall horse unmounted ;) ; As crypts go your pretty much free to get whichever ones you like the look of. All are pretty undemanding and there is enough variety to fill every niche you want to and they won't care if its your first time. ;)

Hi all,
Thanks what crypts would be best for a someone whos never had one
C. wendtii "Brown"
also does anubias actually let out toxins when damaged or is that a myth?
Most Aroids will have toxic sap, but I think this is a myth in terms of causing fish death.

I'd add Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus), Aponogeton crispus, Echinodorus bleheri and most mosses to the "easy low light" list.

cheers Darrel

Thanks I should be going out today to get some plants but I doubt the shop will know what they are :(.
I went to the shop got some more pygmy chain sword (for other tanks and maybe a little extra for this one), some water wisteria (not sure if I spelt it right)because I have some in another tank with low lights barely any ferts and no special substrate and it is thriving one small stem has become 3 huge plants over about 4 months and its practically taking over my tank, some vallis torta I think, some cabomba and some unidentified plant but it was cheaper to get 5 so i bought the extra one :D. If any of these are unsuitable I have another tank with will probably suit their requirements. Also if I uploaded a picture are any of you quite confident that you could identify it?

I just went out today and got some java fern windelov , some crypt parva ,some crypt tropica and another plant that I have forgotten the name , I'm not going to put the wisteria in now and may remove the cabomba even though this worked very well for me in another low light tank, and I love the look of it, also after comparing the looks of the 'pygmy chain swords' I think they are differnt plants as one is taller with slightly thinner leaves and one is shorter with thicker leaves (still quite thin though) but I used this to my advantage as I didnt have any midground plants. Also I'm not really sure how to plant the crypts or if they are foreground or midground could anyone help, also can I stop them from melting?

Back