• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Gourami Gloaming #4

Thanks tim, loving them so much I'm looking to sell my shrimp colony so I can set up another tank for them.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yes Lee, they have a lovely way of moving and have explored all over, even up in the floating plants. I'm addicted.

Yes Lee, they have a lovely way of moving

Graceful. That's how I'd describe it. It's like they glide through the water too.

I must say it's really nice to see people taking on the paros and even getting rid of shrimp to make home for them. They really do deserve to be given the best possible. It's such a shame that their habitat like others is getting destroyed leading to extinction.

I think that's half the reason I can't stop getting them.
They're the 3 females then lindy??

Colin thought there were at least 2 females in there but he couldn't be sure and they all looked the same to me. He identified at least one male so heres hoping it's 3 female to one male.

Wow I've never soon these guys in the flesh but if they are making you give up on shrimp they really must be something special!! Tank looks wonderful too Lindy

Thanks Ali, I think I am ready for a change.

Well I'm glad I took Alastairs advice and just got 4 paros because despite having loads of space they argue alot! Definitely have 2 males as they flared at each other and one backed down. The males seem to have chosen tank sides with the 'winner' holding the left hand side. The left hand male spends alot of time chasing the female that stays in his side while the other male tries to chase the female that likes the right hand side but she won't run and gives him a hiding every time. Wondering if any of this is normal? All feeding well though and the females come right to the front of the tank often while the males are a bit more jumpy. After the flaring I'm pretty sure they are bintan and not sumatranus.

Maybe more would be better,
I have no idea but sounds like they have territory? I'd put another 20 in that size tank...

I have 6 in a 60 and they have the odd little chase but nothing I'd consider anything different from most other fish I've kept.
Snakeskin barbs on the other hand can be like tigers when the ladies shake their booty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hoping they breed so hope territory is a good thing.

Yeah this is normal lindy. Especially with having such a vast space in the tank. The two males are fighting out for who's the alpha male.
As Iain mentioned if you got a few more it would lessen this but they don't do any permanent damage to on another even though it looks aggressive

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Alastair, none of them have any marks on and one male seems to be boss with the other not challenging him at all.

Some liquorice shots...
araza3en.jpg

agu4ygej.jpg

peduryge.jpg

By the time the phone had focused the fish had shot off most of the time so lots of blurry stripe shots.

Video of liquorice gourami feeding and flaring. Some is in focus I promise so please persevere! Lovely flare 4 mins in.

I'm thinking these are either P. Bintan or P. Gunwani. P. Gunwani seems less likely according to the parosphromenus project site but they look most like mine...

Last edited:
Back