• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Granite rocks from beach

Halley

Hi - I was at a beach today in Connemara, County Galway in Ireland. I saw a whole beach with these rocks:
a328e3f23eb3bb7e37e7159b381a893b.jpg
e83b505b2de2017bb0ead34981b09d5f.jpg

Do you think they are aquarium safe?
Would they work in an aquascape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,
Do you think they are aquarium safe?
Yes.

Round cobbles are always really hard, impermeable rocks, or they wouldn't have ended up round. I can't tell on this monitor but I assumed there is quite a lot of pink colour in them? If there is they are 400 million years old.

cheers Darrel

Yes they are very pink - they are also large - about a foot and a half in height

There is a whole beach full of these rocks all different sizes - from pebbles up to 2 foot long

There is a whole beach full of these rocks all different sizes - from pebbles up to 2 foot long

my local beaches at Scarborough have a mind blowing selection of rocks and its a jarrassic coast as well, i've found half an ammonite before from one beach.

I haven't seen too many aquascapes using rounded stones - would like to see some ideas!

I've done one.
I haven't seen too many aquascapes using rounded stones - would like to see some ideas!

I've done one, when I'm next on the laptop I'll dig it out for you.

Cool - round rocks seem to work well as a background to fancy goldfish for some reason - seen a couple of these

Hi all,
Have a look at some aquascapes for Hill-stream Loaches (Sewellia, Gastromyzon) or Stiphodon Gobies. (Image from: <"Loaches online: Hill-stream Loaches">).

image_medium

A lot of plants like some flow, and rounded rocks suggest a flowing river. You could have an aquascape with the emphasis on the rocks and Bolbitis heudelotti & Fontinalis antipyretica as your main plants.

We have a thread <"Fish for high flow....">

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all, Have a look at some aquascapes for Hill-stream Loaches (Sewellia, Gastromyzon) or Stiphodon Gobies. (Image from: <"Loaches online: Hill-stream Loaches">).

View attachment 96668

A lot of plants like some flow, and rounded rocks suggest a flowing river. You could have an aquascape with the emphasis on the rocks and Bolbitis heudelotti & Fontinalis antipyretica as your main plants.

We have a thread <"Fish for high flow....">

cheers Darrel

Nice tank! I like this one aswell -

I think it is an area that is somewhat neglected

Found a couple of pics for you. I suppose they are aquascapes yeah since they had some thought put into them, but they were very rushed, instead of days like a lot of people would take, it was hours for me and since one of the main vocal points was rocks, I think it goes by a different name than just aquascape. The name has alluded me. These pics were back when I was first starting to take the hobby serious but still had quite a few rookie things to wean out.

ukaps (2).jpg

UKAPS.jpg

Some of the plants in these pics were kindly sent to me by Darrel whose also commented btw. Top man.

Nice work - these type of stones are most available around these parts - it would be nice to see more people use round stones

Back