• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Grass hair cut

simon Coram

My grass is starting to grow, its been planted for two weeks now.
Is it worth giving it a cut or leave it a bit longer.
4D1C3372-DD20-44F8-AA3E-ADC18D785E04_zpsubjuh5u1.jpg

What type of grass is that, I have Eleocharis parvula and I trim it around every 2 weeks, it helps it to spread rather than growing tall, if you are going for a carpet may I suggest breaking some of the bigger clumps up and spreading them out a little more, this will help the plant send out runners easier :D although the clumps look cool and the plant health itself looks great!

Thanks its Eleocharis parvula, i want it to carpet that corner off the tank. Perhaps i will thin it out over the weekend and trim it down a bit. There are some good runners coming off it.

Daft question time when you trim the grass do you switch all the filters off so the grass floats then you net it off, how deep do you trim it down too.

Yes good point, I would also use a cheap or older net, the grass tends to stick to the net and you spend ages picking it out, or at least I do, another option which is harder you can trim at the same time as a water change so the off cuts of grass go straight up the siphon (can also be used when trimming moss too) but it is much harder to do I usually trim it down to about 10mm or 1cm I have also by accident cut it within 2mm or so of the sand, but it still grew back as strong so I wouldn't worry if you cut it too short

Thanks I've just tried an experiment I've thinned out the front half and cut it down to see how it grows compared to the the thick clumps in the back half.

only trouble is that the fish only neons like picking at it and i get small clumps floating until the roots take hold again.

Back