• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

green house glass?

timbob1387

Seedling
Would green house glass be alright for making a 1ft cube?
Just wanting a small tank to walstead for growing my plants in before moving them to my other tanks and thought could knock one together from green house glass but not 100% sure if it'd take the pressure

If its glass from a greenhouse I would say no. Glass is funny stuff and actually can go brittle over time I am told. I was advised against exactly this by a local glazier firm. You can get a 1ft cube from Pets at home for about £20 though mate. :)

defo not mate,its the cheapest glass out there very thin and its very distorted...check out the double glazzing places,i often get glass from there skips,most places will give it to you,sometimes you may have to strip an old door...

You can get a 1ft cube from Pets at home for about £20 though mate. :)

If you're referring to the Clearseal tanks, they're excellent quality for the money. I've had a 30"x15"x12" running for about 3 years now without any problems.

If its glass from a greenhouse I would say no. Glass is funny stuff and actually can go brittle over time I am told. I was advised against exactly this by a local glazier firm. You can get a 1ft cube from Pets at home for about £20 though mate. :)

are these still available? I keep looking in my local P@H and have yet to see one.

you could probably walk into a glass shop and get enough 6mm glass cut and prept for about 20 mate, and have all the fun making it...

Have been in contact with a local window fitter and he said to give him a couple weeks to get some "scrap" together then go down see what hes got so stay tuned will see what I can get together and see if I can do a 100% recycled setup as already have a bunch of wood from work to build a stand or 2

Nice one,doorwindow if you can it will be thicker, dont forget the wet and dry for the edges,clean the glass with white spirit before you cut it...

glass is not as cheap as it used to be two pieces green house glass cut to size for a set of sliding covers cost over 12 quid and its only 3 mm glass also had some 4 mm glass cut the other day to plate the bottom of a tank that was cracked it was 14 quid for the glass plate and 3 quid for the brace bar that was made out of 6 mm so glass is not cheap and second hand glass goes to brittle over the years

Back