• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Greetings and salutations from a man named Finn

Finn

Hello everyone,

So after over a year of veritably fierce lurking, undeniably furious research and a lot of utter arsing around with what could easily be mistaken for a tragic accident of glass, water, plants and mud, placed with no logic or regard for the laws of physics, I realised that I'm well on my way to setting up my second aquarium (and a proper one at that - read: overpriced ADA sexiness, thanks TGM sale... ;)) and haven't even posted here once!

Shameful I know, but obviously, I'm not the most sensible of people. In my defence, introducing yourself in a new community can be a daunting proposition, especially if you have a proclivity for getting your feet as effortlessly caught in your own mouth as I do!

However I feel it is time, so officially, hello UKAPS, my name is Finn. I spend most of my time as a horticulture student, and am currently focusing on historic and botanic gardening. I live in Liverpool but end up flitting up and down Cheshire a lot, for obvious reasons. Despite a childhood filled with an obsession with nature and wildlife, I first started playing with planted aquariums and fish about a year ago with a clearseal 60x30x36 which as previously mentioned, I've been making my many, many mistakes in. For now, it's holding a slightly overcrowded collection of mosses, ferns and bucephalandra, along with my super tiger shrimp, a small shoal of Boraras and some slowly dissolving malaysian trumpet snails (those poor sods). I would show it off but unfortunately it's distinctly lacking even the most perfunctory evidence of cultivation required for any sort of online publication so for now, will remain the (only, I promise) unfortunate secret of my bedroom.

As previously mentioned, I've got a very nice new 60-P, but due to college will probably be something I'm going to be taking my time with. Fortunately my aquatic desires are being (just about) satisfied so with any luck all the mistakes I made by rushing the first aquarium will be replaced with new and exciting mistakes created by taking this one too slowly! :lol: And who knows, should the planets align favourably, I may even produce a journal for it.:eek:

Anyway, journal or not, I will definitely be trying my best to contribute and also not making a tit out of myself (hopefully at the same time). I've got a big debt to pay for all the fantastic advice, knowledge and inspiration that's been posted here, so a massive thank you to everyone for making this place what it is(but at the same time, shame on you for getting me so hopelessly addicted!).

Cheers,
Finn.

Oh and P.S. If anyone wants to chat plants or botany with me in general I would really enjoy it. Plant nerds need to stick together, if nothing else to provide some momentary reprieve for our loved ones. ;)

Back