• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Greetings from Australia

GotCrabs

Greetings from Australia everyone, came across this site and forum a couple days back and after lurking I decided to jump on board.

Currently in the process of setting up a Aqua One Horizon 50 (50cm x 29cm x 29cm) 40l, substrate is ADA Amazonia Soil 9l, lighting is Ista 60cm LED, Filter is Eheim 2213, hardscape I bought a box of Pisces Seiryu Stone and am looking to plant a full tank carpet of HC, once I am happy with the stone arrangement, I will also be starting this as a DSM.

I was looking to do an Iwagumi, but due to the shape of the stones I have I feel I am unable to achieve a flowing set up that an Iwagumi should be, so I have ended up with 5 stones in the tank and put together something I'm some what happy with, but not quite sure, again it isn't the classic Iwagumi set up, I guess I'm some what breaking the laws of Iwagumi.

Have kind of moved away from the fish and shrimp keeping side of the aquarium trade and am becoming more interested in the aquascaping aspect of it.

I have kept a number of shrimp and fish, different plant life, but have scrapped everything recently and decided to go to a smaller tank and will look to keep shrimp only.

Also beginning to take an interest in other forms of aquascaping, such as Wabi Kusa, so once this tank and up and running, I perhaps might go down the Wabi Kusa road and try my hand at it as display pieces in the home.

I've found that aquascaping isn't too popular down here, so what I have seen and learnt is from the internet only from scapers such as Takashi Amano, George Farmer mainly.

So the hardscape is some what set up and lighting plugged in, will look to order a handful of HC pots tomorrow and go from there.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Cheers @Edvet, I've come across some amazing scapes on this forum, particularly Iwagumi and Wabi Kusa.

I find aquascaping rather relaxing, which I found out when planting a 30cm x 20cm x 20cm with Glossostigma stem by stem in a outdoors tank I have going at the moment with some White Cloud Minnows in it, so far it's going well unfiltered and with natural light, with water changes every Sunday.

I'm really wanting to get an Iwagumi display set up in this Aqua One Horizon 50, it's harder than it looks and sounds that's for sure, especially working with only a certain number of Seiryu stone and certain shapes, I'll get there eventually, I hope!

I got the Ista 60cm LED this morning, very happy with it at the moment, surprised at how light, thin it is and how bright it is also, the HC carpet will love it!

Didn't realise until earlier that @George Farmer and @Dan Crawford were on here, first came across George's works after I listened to an interview with him on ShrimpFu and then looked up his work.

Well, back to lurking the forum and sussing out members' scapes and journals, cheers.

carefull with that then:cool:

I'm in Australia, we're used to it.

It's brighter then what I had, but I think it'll be great for what I'm looking to do, isn't too strong where it'll cause issues.

Welcome, and can we have some photos of the setting up process:)

Cheers, there really isn't anything to document photographically at the moment as the tank is just sitting on a table full of ADA Amazonia, Ista LED sitting on top and still playing around with the Seiryu stone, once I get things started I'll start a journal with photos for sure though.

Hi GC!

Welcome aboard. You're sure to like it here. :thumbup:

@Dantrasy, how are ya? Just sussed out your 'Peaks' tank, unreal!

Still fiddling with an Iwagumi scape today, ended up going with a 3 Seiryu stone set up, think I'll keep it at that for now and order the HC.

Still working on the hardscape, slowly doing my head in, ha, getting images off of the net of Iwagumi as well as Japanese Rock Gardens also for inspiration, will have another go at it tomorrow.

HC has been ordered, that'll be sent off on Monday, so that gives me plenty of time (I hope) to settle on a final hardscape that I'm happy with.

Last edited:
Back