• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Greetings from The Netherlands

JBronsveld

Hello UKAPS!

Happy to be here :)

My name is Jeroen and I'm currently in the process of doing my first ever planted tank.

Got the aquarium (Juwel Rio 180) from my former mother-in-law including 1 goldfish.
I have been taking care of that fish (and added 2 more + a few BN pleco's) for almost 3 years now.

As with goldfish it is hard to keep any plants (believe me I tried... :p) and I was up for a change.

So I have been reading all the information I could find and slowly starting to pick up gear for the new tank.

Looking at building a Nature style aquarium (keeping the BN pleco's) and taking it from there.

The guide written on setting up a higher tech tank from Ed was amazing to read (also because he used a Rio 180) and my aim is to use that as a baseline for all the gear.

Looking forward to expanding my knowledge on this hobby and excited to start a journal to keep up with the progress :happy:

Welkom@Ukaps!
BN pleco's can reak havoc on plants and layouts, so be carefull.
Thank you!

This I did not know :(
It would make it easier to just give them back to the LFS as well as the goldfish (which I already planned on doing).

Planning to use ADA Aquasoil for the new setup and was already thinking how to keep the fish while it settles in and the ammonia spiking is over.

Hmm things to think about :rolleyes:

If they sprint away, when disturbed suddenly, you'll find the amazonia all over the place. I had one kind of pleco, about BN sized and took that one out, because of this. And i use regular riversand/gravel:eek: which is heavier

Hoi welkom bij UKAPS.. :)

Goldfish and plants, not realy needs to be a problem.. Also you have 1 goldfish.. Imagine, goldfish are very social, playfull and very inteligent fish. It might look different, but i tend to think its boring for them being alone. I have 5 of them, summers outside, winters inside. I do plants and have no real trouble. But i notice when i seperate them, like take one inside earlier.. The one gets realy sad, no apetite and just inactively hides in the corner. Till his/her mates arive, they are realy happy being together again, you realy see them greating eachother and playing like they are hugging.

Give the goldfish a mate or 2 to create family bond and they wont get bored or frustrated.. When it comes to plants, give them elodea to rip apart and eat or Salvinia :) they love to munch salvina roots... Other plants you have to secure tied to a stone with fishing line at their roots so they wont be dug up and stay down.. Goldfish shift with the substrate, secure planted areas of substrate with larger heavy stones like creating a flowerpot and top the substrate around the plant with larger round pebbles, so they cant dig there, give them unplanted areas to dig and shift around.

You could use anubias, java fern or other plants that can be securely tied to hardware and do not need sustrate. Options enough to make a realy nice planted goldfish tank.. :)

If they sprint away, when disturbed suddenly, you'll find the amazonia all over the place. I had one kind of pleco, about BN sized and took that one out, because of this. And i use regular riversand/gravel:eek: which is heavier
Yeah now that you notice it, when I came home last night 1 of them made a hill of gravel... :lol:

Hoi welkom bij UKAPS.. :)
Goldfish and plants, not realy needs to be a problem.. Also you have 1 goldfish.. Imagine, goldfish are very social, playfull and very inteligent fish. It might look different, but i tend to think its boring for them being alone. I have 5 of them, summers outside, winters inside. I do plants and have no real trouble. But i notice when i seperate them, like take one inside earlier.. The one gets realy sad, no apetite and just inactively hides in the corner. Till his/her mates arive, they are realy happy being together again, you realy see them greating eachother and playing like they are hugging.
Give the goldfish a mate or 2 to create family bond and they wont get bored or frustrated.. When it comes to plants, give them elodea to rip apart and eat or Salvinia :) they love to munch salvina roots... Other plants you have to secure tied to a stone with fishing line at their roots so they wont be dug up and stay down.. Goldfish shift with the substrate, secure planted areas of substrate with larger heavy stones like creating a flowerpot and top the substrate around the plant with larger round pebbles, so they cant dig there, give them unplanted areas to dig and shift around.
You could use anubias, java fern or other plants that can be securely tied to hardware and do not need sustrate. Options enough to make a realy nice planted goldfish tank.. :)
Thank you :)

Great to see this forum being actively used!

I actually have 3 goldfish (I just got the single one when I took over the aquarium but quickly added some friends) and 3 pleco's in there.
Admittedly I didn't do enough research on a planted goldfish tank and securing the plants better would have solved some issues.
I do have a Anubias growing in there which rooted itself beneath the internal filter which is the reason it is still there after all that time.

1 of them is also closing in on 20cm (fins and all) and seems quite large for the tank.

I'm lucky enough to have a great LFS owner near me willing to take the fish and ensure they go to someone capable of caring for them (not the first kid with a bowl that wants a goldfish:thumbdown:).
If it wasn't for that I would have kept them as I'm not the kind of person willing to sacrifice a living creature for my own pleasure.

Back