• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Grobeam / Aquabar fittings?

James D

I'm going to take the plunge and upgrade my leds, problem is I don't like the mounting systems for the Grobeam / Aquabar lights, as I work for an acrylic fabricators I was planning to make something like the ADA Aquasky fitting.

My problem is I can only find the generic pictures of theses on the web, I need more detailed photos of them showing any screw holes etc or any methods of fixing them before I can decide which light to get.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

James

My GroBeam 500 is 450mm c to c if that helps

I should have said That's c to c of the two fixing holes. They are the two small turrets at the end if the heat sink, built into the black plastic body

Thanks James. So they're on the end or on the top? Could I use the fixing holes to bolt them onto something?

I assume the 600 is the same size as the 500.

Cheers

James D

You should be able to as they are the only fixing on the unit, it must be what they are designed for.

The plastic rises up with a threaded insert inside. It's the tallest part of the unit, some 2-3mm higher than the heat sink. So as long as you can find a threaded bolt long enough and your material can cope with the heat you are good to go

Is this it on the right James? (I spent ages looking for a pic and that's the only one I could find))

3368.jpg

One more thing, does the unit get very hot, my current LED hardly generates any heat.

That's the kiddy! It doesn't get too hot to touch. It'd be the repeated exposure for 6+ hrs a day that might be an issue esp. in a good summer. I'd expect Perspex to be easily man enough though

That's the kiddy! It doesn't get too hot to touch. It'd be the repeated exposure for 6+ hrs a day that might be an issue esp. in a good summer. I'd expect Perspex to be easily man enough though

Cheers James, you've been a great help.

I'll get some close ups of the aquabar later.

Thanks Ian, I'd appreciate that, I'm starting to think the aquabar might be a better option - the grobeam might be a bit too black!

Decisions. decisions.

Grobeam 600 ordered!

I figured I can get away with a single Grobeam rather than two Aquabars and those fixings on the top swung it in the end. Time to design a nice fitting now.

Cheers

The spread it pretty wide, almost 180deg. Of course at the widest angles it's weakest but nonetheless a good spread

Are you going to magic something up out of acrylic?

I'm not sure yet mate, I've got all the equipment and a warehouse full of acrylic I can pilfer so it's likely. I don't really want the top of the led to be visible though (because it's black) so I might try and get some metal work made that can hide it.... kind of like the ADA Solars. Luckily my mate makes bespoke metal work for a living so he might help but failing that I could make the top piece from a solid colour acrylic. I'll have a look at the unit when it arrives and see what's best.

When I've finished I'll post it up for you to see if it's not too crappy!

Cheers.

I think the black plastic would be easily paintable. Maybe white

The fixing would look good in acrylic but the shade/reflector would look super minimalist if it was one piece of curved stainless! Light-stainless shade-acrylic fixing all bolted through one matching hole to the light maybe?

Sorry Ian, I thought you'd forgotten.

I was just looking on ebay and I can buy a sheet of 250 x 500 aluminium for about a fiver, bend it a bit, drill two holes,... Bob's yer uncle!

Maybe some one more familiar can advise me about the metal though, would I be better of with Brushed steel or Aluminium? Or does it just depend on the finish I want? Also what thickness would be advisable? I was looking at about 1mm.

Cheers.

As long as it holds the curve without drooping. But 1mm should be fine. Of in doubt go thicker or roll the ends

Aluminium goes powdery white after a while. If you want to go retro industrial, use steel, paint the inside white and age the outside with a weak vinegar solution to speed up surface rust

Do you want silver though? You could add some cool colour by using brass sheet :eek:

Cheers James, silver I think, maybe brushed stainless steel would be better?

You'll have no issues with stainless. If you like the idea of brass for the outside, you can line it with sticky back foil inside

I took a drawing of my 'light shade' up to a local metal worker to get a quote and he's only charging £15 cash, I would have paid almost that for the Stainless steel alone off ebay so I snapped his and off.... hopefully it'll turn out nice - I'll find out on friday.

As I was typing my Grobeam 600 arrived...... Bad news for me, the fittings are different to the 500, those fixing holes aren't on there anymore. :facepalm:

Back