• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Grow your own.

I have daphnia and mosquito larvae every day. I don't do anything. Haven't paid for live food in over a month although I like to feed bloodworm and mysis shrimp occasionally as the fish love them. But for the past month I've just been feeding from what the pond produces 8)

560274_391146740929931_100001038261812_1197446_865866449_n.jpg

How do you scoop out daphnia, I used to use a seive, that would get most of the larger mosquito larvae, into freash clean tap water, leave them in there for a bit, then into tank. Howveer the seive the smaller larve would get left behind, which was fine actually.

The smallest available aquarium net will get pretty much all but the smallest creatures. I also prefer to leave the smallest ones behind and wait for them to grow on a bit.

I make sure no pond water enters the aquarium. I'll pour the contents of the collection jar through the net and into another jar and then add the contents of the net into the tank. The pond water will then be poured on my indoor veg.

Morgan Freeman said:
The smallest available aquarium net will get pretty much all but the smallest creatures. I also prefer to leave the smallest ones behind and wait for them to grow on a bit.

I make sure no pond water enters the aquarium. I'll pour the collection jar through the net and into another jar and then add the contents of the net into the tank. The pond water will then be poured on my indoor veg.

Similar, i used fresh clean tap water, as a bath for the critters in reality, but none of the water went in, may set up something again this summer.

Did yoou introduce the daphnia, I only got mos larvae and the odd blood worm.

Yeah just one bag maybe 5/6 weeks ago? I honestly can't remember. I added them and thought there's no way they'll survive as it's too cold but sure enough they're happily breeding away. It was a thick green gloop when they went in although it's far more likely the constant rain has kept the water clear as opposed to hungry daphnia.

Back