• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Growing Moss

bjorn

I need a lot of Christmas Moss (Vesicularia dubyana) for a new setup and would like to try and grow it in advance on it's own. It would save me a small fortune not having to buy lots of single portions.

I've got a spare nano setup (38l Nano, 18w Arcadia Elipse lamp, Eheim Ecco External Filter 2232 and heater) that I thought I could try and use. The idea is to not having to buy anything other than a single portion of moss and then during a month or two grow it into the full amount i need. I also happen to have both some left over Tropica Plant Nutrition+ and Easy Carbo.

Is this a viable thing to do, or will I just end up with a tank full of green algae soup?

Any tips in how to do this efficiently?

Why not try a dry start? I think it's possible with mosses as well as and you'd avoid the algae...

cheers, G

incidentally i was thinking about something like a moss 'waterfall' as an experiment - shallow tray set at an angle with a filter intake at the bottom and spray bar at the top. Mosses then glued or sewn to foam pads and that way they should have loads of clean water flowing over them to move any muck away. What do you think!

Spot on idea.
When you see mosses thriving in nature it is often on or around a waterfall.

Back