• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Grr, wasn't expecting this... Help / Advice please ?

You just need to get a cleaning rhythm going, use a gravel syphon or just make one.
These syphons work quite well & the diffused flow at the wide part should not dislodge your plants but you will just have to give it a go to see...

Once your tank is more mature you can get away with much lower maintenance but it is important to keep on top of this now.
You are right about the filter pick up not being able to cope with anything large though.

We were worried about you using 60mm of fine sand all over the base because deep sand beds can go anaerobic but, it sounds like your layout will be fine.

Plant growth & root growth will really speed up if you can get your C02 system going, in the mean time just be as careful as possible when syphoning around the plants.....its all good fun & there are somethings you will always miss on the forum, we also have different ideas & opinions on here!
Once your tank has been running for 6 months you will be sitting there bored because it is all going smoothly & then you will be wanting to start over so you have something to work on :)

The funny thing about forums is in the way they work compared to talking face to face, you need to be pretty thick skinned sometimes as there can be conflicting advice :?

Are there any hints or tips as to how to ensure a lot of the detritus in the water column ends up in the filter

Yes there is its called more flow. More flow keeps debris suspended in the water for longer. This way there is more chance of it getting sucked into the filter.

Matty1983 said:
Are there any hints or tips as to how to ensure a lot of the detritus in the water column ends up in the filter

Yes there is its called more flow. More flow keeps debris suspended in the water for longer. This way there is more chance of it getting sucked into the filter.

If I put more flow in my tiny tank, the plants will be uprooted and be swilling around the water column to add to the detritus.

Hi
Its a tad off track.
Here is a tip when syphoning around new plants or delicate plants with detritus on them.
Get a soft uplift sponge the one that's round with the hole similar to this :arrow: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aquarium-Fish ... 45faf439f9 and get a piece of tube or your gravel cleaning tube and stick it three quarters the way down in to the sponge.
This will stop you damaging the plants and gives you something to disturb the gunge/gunk with.
You can use this in a shrimp tank as well...usually when the shrimp touches the sponge it takes a quick hike out of the way.
Cheers
hoggie

hogan53 said:
Hi
Its a tad off track.
Here is a tip when syphoning around new plants or delicate plants with detritus on them.
Get a soft uplift sponge the one that's round with the hole similar to this :arrow: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aquarium-Fish ... 45faf439f9 and get a piece of tube or your gravel cleaning tube and stick it three quarters the way down in to the sponge.
This will stop you damaging the plants and gives you something to disturb the gunge/gunk with.
You can use this in a shrimp tank as well...usually when the shrimp touches the sponge it takes a quick hike out of the way.
Cheers
hoggie

Cool tip, thanks Hoggie :)

I might consider some Amano shrimp for this tank to help police the bottom along with the cory's.
They are too large to be viewed as food by the cory's, and they enjoy feeding on any decaying matter that you can't easily remove with vacuum. ;)

roadmaster said:
I might consider some Amano shrimp for this tank to help police the bottom along with the cory's.
They are too large to be viewed as food by the cory's, and they enjoy feeding on any decaying matter that you can't easily remove with vacuum. ;)

Oh cool thanks roadmaster. Only think is I am also contemplating getting some apistogrammas. How would the Amano's fair with them IYO ? I don't want to forego the apisto's which is a bummer as thats why I got a tank in the first place, LOL.

Apisto's would maybe not tolerate the Amano Shrimp or the cory's at nesting time should they indeed spawn.
Larger cory's would prolly stand a better chance, but seem to be drawn by possibly scent of eggs to nesting area's.
They are either incredibly stupid,or persistent, considering the thrashing they often receive from nesting parent's of even smaller cichlids in my opinion.

roadmaster said:
Apisto's would maybe not tolerate the Amano Shrimp or the cory's at nesting time should they indeed spawn.
Larger cory's would prolly stand a better chance, but seem to be drawn by possibly scent of eggs to nesting area's.
They are either incredibly stupid,or persistent, considering the thrashing they often receive from nesting parent's of even smaller cichlids in my opinion.

Its looking more and more that I need a separate Apisto tank :( What else could i have in there with them that will a) handle it and b) not eat the apisto eggs/fry ?

Back