• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Guess how much this little lot cost me

hotweldfire

2 ferns and 1 tiny grid of moss including express postage (5-7 days) from Taiwan and optional tracking number. First one to get all three species and closest to the price (a hint - unpleasantly high) gets a small narrow leaf java fern rhizome as a prize. Moss will be the tricky bit so willing to be lenient on that one.

217111.jpg

217112.jpg

217113.jpg

217114.jpg

Entries close midnight Saturday :D

£45 posted.

Hi all,

£75

The moss looks like a leafy liverwort, so I'd say it is Pearl Mosi "moss", from this thread <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12859>, I haven't quite managed to find a scientific name for this one.

The fern looks like "Australian mini Bolbitis", again I haven't quite managed to find a scientific name for this one.
Another possibility would be a Trichomanes sp.

The second fern looks like an Adiantum, of the A. lunulatum or A. petiolatum persuasion.
If the frond is very thin it may another Trichomanes sp. These "filmy ferns" are really common in the warm, wet tropics.

This is A. petiolatum:
Adiantum_petiolatum_habit_CostaRica.jpg

and this is the Killarney Filmy fern T. speciosum
trichomanes_speciosum_23f5.jpg

cheers Darrel

Mini bolbitis. (although they might have labelled it as bolbitis difformis, I've seen that done before).
Crepidomanes auriculatum.
I imagine it was sold as a pearl moss. Most likely labelled as a blepharastoma species. There are other mosses being sold with that frond shape under other genus' so it could be something else.

I am quite confident as I have all these plants already :)
The crep is a lovely plant btw. Mine is about 9" long now.

£51.43. (This is more of a guess, as I got most of my stock from swapping)

Woo Hoo!

No need to post me any needle leaf, I have some already. I just wanted to enter for the fun of it :)

I've seen the second fern from the first photo listed as birds nest fern, I have to say I'm very jealous, it's a beautiful plant indeed.

hotweldfire said:
Bingo. Competition closes early.

All three plants and remarkably, given that you were guessing, within a quid of total price. PM me your postal address and i'll send the fern.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

lmao genius!

I have to admit Matt, I did think you were a likely contender for this one ;)

Darrel came in second, Corki third. Darrel you have first refusal on the narrow leaf.

BTW guys, the main reason I started this thread (apart from having a little fun) is that I am slightly outraged by the price I paid for this stuff. Stupid thing to say, I know, given I could have chosen not to buy it. However, the quantity of plants was absolutely tiny and not in the best nick despite the express postage.

I know this stuff is extraordinarily rare but still. Hopefully I'll get it to grow and can then distribute to people at a more reasonable price.

I am also growing mine on with the intention of sharing it around. I am growing it low tech though, and want it to fill quite a space, so no one should hold their breath.

I've already given some of the Crep. to Darren @ Living Waters, so I imagine at some point there will be some available from him too.

Back