• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Had three honey gouramis last one died today.

Rainbows are (very) prone to mycobacterium infections so this may be a possibility

Note that fish with advanced internal parasite infestation (including helminths) generally display an initial (& often enthusiastic) food response, but then consume very little actual food, ofttimes appearing to taste and spit

This is exactly what they have been doing although not spitting out all the food. They get excited as soon as food hits the water, not all the food gets eaten though.

Hi
I have used Harka Verm for in tank treatment and medicated food.It will do the job but U may want both ways as is quite safe to use(used it with shrimps,ottos ,Sap puffers and others)and your fish my not accept the food when fully medicated.
Regards Konsa

If there is still food response, I’d treat with levamisole~food
(note I’ve only prepared food beginning with “pure” crystalline levamisole HCl)

Check Darrel’s commentary in this recent thread
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/skinny-apistogramma-parasites.56146/#post-545324

Thanks for the link, so I need to get HARKA-VERM, is this the right one? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HARKERS-...h=item3aa6102488:g:pGcAAOSwiCRUi0zZ:rk:2:pf:0 following the links in the link you sent me am I right in thinking the dosage is 2.36mgl x 240lts of water = 566.4mg for my tank? here's the link to the calculations https://www.loaches.com/disease-treatment/levamisole-hydrochloride-1 Thanks again for your help :)

Hi all,
Yes that is the one, and I think it is 8% (0.08) Levamisole HCl. I dosed it at about 12 ml for 60 litres, which would give you 48 ml in 240 litres, or about 3.8g Levamisole HCl in total. I assumed that one millilitre of "Harka Verm" weighs one gram.

The 566.4 mg is the amount of Levamisole HCl you need to give you 2 ppm Levamisole in the tank water, this is from the Loaches On-line link "59 mg of Levamisole HCl is equivalent to 50 mg of Levamisole base" (~1.18ppm Levamisole HCl = 1 ppm
Levamisole base and 2.36ppm Levamisole HCl = 2ppm), and then 2.36 x 240 gives you 566.4 .

Take into account the fact that the "Harka Verm" is a suspension with only 8% Levamisole HCl in it, to get to the 2 ppm in the tank water you would need to add 7.1 g of Harka Verm, so about twice what I dosed.

The workings for that were 566 / 0.08 = 7080 mg or 7.08g Levamisole. This works out to 88.5 ml of "Harka Verm" (7.08 / 0.08).

cheers Darrel

Be careful of the source re storage notes on Harkers website

Do not store above 25°C and store in a dark place.

Sorry I’ve not used this version (of levamisole) so can’t really comment otherwise, except that some fish, shrimp, plants can react adversely, especially to extended bath treatment: some internal parasites are more resistant than others and oral treatment is always more effective than bath treatments

pH is an important factor re bioavailability/stability of the levamisole in solution
(as I recall slightly acidic pH 6.0 - 7 is significantly better than activity at pH 7 - 7.5, and don’t use as a bath treatment if pH over 7.5, decomposition is rapid at pH 8 ... disregard LOL comments on this aspect of levamisole stability in aqueous solution ;))

I’d check the pH of the Harkaverm upon arrival - note levamisole is more stable in methanol so check label to this effect

Hi all,
Yes that is the one, and I think it is 8% (0.08) Levamisole HCl. I dosed it at about 12 ml for 60 litres, which would give you 48 ml in 240 litres, or about 3.8g Levamisole HCl in total. I assumed that one millilitre of "Harka Verm" weighs one gram.

The 566.4 mg is the amount of Levamisole HCl you need to give you 2 ppm Levamisole in the tank water, this is from the Loaches On-line link "59 mg of Levamisole HCl is equivalent to 50 mg of Levamisole base" (~1.18ppm Levamisole HCl = 1 ppm
Levamisole base and 2.36ppm Levamisole HCl = 2ppm), and then 2.36 x 240 gives you 566.4 .

Take into account the fact that the "Harka Verm" is a suspension with only 8% Levamisole HCl in it, to get to the 2 ppm in the tank water you would need to add 7.1 g of Harka Verm, so about twice what I dosed.

The workings for that were 566 / 0.08 = 7080 mg or 7.08g Levamisole. This works out to 88.5 ml of "Harka Verm" (7.08 / 0.08).

cheers Darrel

Thanks very much Darrel, is it just a one off dose or does it have to be repeated over the course of a week? :)

Be careful of the source re storage notes on Harkers website

Sorry I’ve not used this version (of levamisole) so can’t really comment otherwise, except that some fish, shrimp, plants can react adversely, especially to extended bath treatment: some internal parasites are more resistant than others and oral treatment is always more effective than bath treatments

pH is an important factor re bioavailability/stability of the levamisole in solution
(as I recall slightly acidic pH 6.0 - 7 is significantly better than activity at pH 7 - 7.5, and don’t use as a bath treatment if pH over 7.5, decomposition is rapid at pH 8 ... disregard LOL comments on this aspect of levamisole stability in aqueous solution ;))

I’d check the pH of the Harkaverm upon arrival - note levamisole is more stable in methanol so check label to this effect

My PH is 7 and drops with co2 to around 6.4, I will store it in the fridge :)

Depending on fish response, you can easily redose as needed, just do a large water change 75-90%

I’d also suggest a large water change before beginning treatment (also check filters & substrate for excess debris)

I was treating Altum angels for a very nasty parasite (that I’ve only seen in wild caught SA fish) which required a long term bath initially, followed with internittent L-treated food over several months
I’m not sure I’d do it again, the fish were miserable, I was miserable ... unfortunately this particularly helminth is wide spread through fish gills & musculature before any external symptoms are visible (a slender white worm encapsulated on the body of the fish, the worms are strongly “hooked” into the muscle wall so can’t be removed without drastic tissue damage, an adult worm is 3-4 cm in length)

Depending on fish response, you can easily redose as needed, just do a large water change 75-90%

I’d also suggest a large water change before beginning treatment (also check filters & substrate for excess debris)

I was treating Altum angels for a very nasty parasite (that I’ve only seen in wild caught SA fish) which required a long term bath initially, followed with internittent L-treated food over several months
I’m not sure I’d do it again, the fish were miserable, I was miserable ... unfortunately this particularly helminth is wide spread through fish gills & musculature before any external symptoms are visible (a slender white worm encapsulated on the body of the fish, the worms are strongly “hooked” into the muscle wall so can’t be removed without drastic tissue damage, an adult worm is 3-4 cm in length)

Thanks, that's a big worm! hope my fish don't get any like that.

Back