• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hairgrass and amano shrimp

LancsRick

Any bright ideas to stop the amano's digging up my ele. acic. when foraging? I'm replanting the hairgrass every single day at the moment since I come home to find the shrimp have been digging through the top layer of substrate, and then the water flow has pulled the plants free!

They're a bit small to put lead strip on, I'm worried about crushing the stems.

Any alternatives?

That's a stupid and cruel idea.

(You'd just put gloves on his feet to start with!)

How deep can I plant it George? Some I've only got a tiny bit of substrate over the "crown" as I wasn't sure how they'd cope with having that buried. I've just tried pushing a few in a fair bit further, so the crown is 1cm or so under the substrate - is that safe for the plants?

Love plants, love shrimp, why can't they just get along?!

(Don't be mean and say "it's not them, it's you". That would just be cruel...)

How deep can I plant it George? Some I've only got a tiny bit of substrate over the "crown" as I wasn't sure how they'd cope with having that buried. I've just tried pushing a few in a fair bit further, so the crown is 1cm or so under the substrate - is that safe for the plants?

Love plants, love shrimp, why can't they just get along?!

(Don't be mean and say "it's not them, it's you". That would just be cruel...)

I've got hairgrass spreading along the sides of one of my tanks and the crowns are anything up to about 2-3cm deep, so I wouldn't worry about doing that.

No wonder I've been struggling to keep it down in that case! Thanks guys!

Major replanting will commence soon....

Despite replanting everything, these amano shrimp are still hellbent on digging up all the hairgrass. It's only in fluval stratum at the moment, which is quite light. I'm wondering whether a gravel cap might stop them as it's a bit heavier. Failing that, I'm going to have to give up on hairgrass in this tank, or remove all the shrimp until it's fully carpetted....

I'm at a loss...

Back