• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Happy crypt tank

Progen

So I have this THREE 4' tanks lying side by side for some weeks now, took the proverbial thing out of my a**e and decided to just put something together from the substrate, compost, soil and whatever I had. Decided on a crypt dominated tank although the carpet's S. repens.

Was pleasantly surprised when after 2.5 weeks, not only had nothing melted (in this tank) but they all seemed pretty happy.

LPgjqAl.jpg

The TC pygmaea was right at home from day one.

44Fxtw0.jpg

The nevilli which I'd been keeping in another tank for around 10 months was happy from day one too.

T9WvM1u.jpg

The wild collected affinis which I'd kept in the other tank for about 6 months took a few days to perk up but there was no melting.

AwyZYw0.jpg

And now we come to these. These were TRULY amazing!!! These little TC wendtii browns lost almost all of their leaves within 2 - 3 days of planting into a plastic cup in another tank, then I took a few stems and roots (hardly any leaves left by then) and planted them in this tank. Less than 2 weeks later, new leaves! Had I not planted them myself, I wouldn't have believed that these were the 'twigs in the cup'!

Substrate is cheap potting mix with some (hopefully organic) fertilizers mixed in. I thought of leaving it uncapped at first because I have a shrimp tank with uncapped compost substrate and the water's crystal clear but my impatient side took over and I put a bit of black sand here and there. There are 20 White Cloud Mountain minnows inside which I put in after testing about 3 times on different days. Ammonia and nitrite was undetectable although it was a new tank. Used a prefilter with just filter wool and an old bag of activated carbon as a simple canister to help clear the water somewhat. It's still a bit cloudy which explains the poor photos but another big water change should help clear things up.

0fHBQ5Q.jpg

Looks like potting mix really rocks. These two groups of tissue cultured wendtii brown were from the same cup. They were all initially planted in the plastic tub above where they lost 80% of their leaves within 2 - 3 days. I then took a few out and transplanted them in the new tank where they became like the ones in the lower photo 17 days later.

The two photos were taken within 2 hours of each other.

I'm really amazed that the ones in the newly set up tank are doing better because the ones on the cup are in better conditions. Temperature averaging around 27.5°C, had stronger, but not crazy strong, lighting and the water was fertilized at least twice a week.

Tank temperature is near 30°C most times and fertilized perhaps once a week.

4wdUSfh.jpg

Another pleasant surprise. I got this healthy wendtii green 7 days ago. Was wondering whether it'd take root because the suppliers here prepare them very differently for sale. They're just wrapped with a lead piece and most of their roots cut off.

Well, seems like it likes the tank too. New leaf in the middle and no signs of stress.

The brownish bits on the older leaves are from lighter bits of the substrate settling on them.

Back