• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hara Jerdoni

Hi all,
catches something even smaller i can not see with this magnification.
I think they eat bacteria.
The way they group together perhaps gives some insight in to the origins of multicellularity.
Yes I think it does. In Dawkin's book <"The Ancestor 's Tale"> it talks about the similarity between the protist <"Choanoflagellates and the feeding cells of sponges">.

I'll need to look it up, but I think that you get aggregations of long stalked ciliate protists as the nutrient supply falls. You get a temporal progression of micro-organisms in sewage treatment as the nutrient level falls, so you can get a measure of BOD from the invertebrate assemblage. I think if you get aggregations of these with long stalks, Rotifers and Tardigrades that the water quality has improved and the "water" can go for final treatment before discharge.

cheers Darrel

I have 5 of these in my community tank that are out quite regularly. I feed them at night just to make sure they get their fill as I have Cory’sx3 and insatiable danios.

Absolutely love mine and would highly recommend them.

I feed them at night just to make sure they get their fill

Since they are (in my case) always wild caught i experience them as very picky eaters.. Even from a mix of froozen food it seems they only go for blood (worms) if it's not alive. I guess beeing such picky eaters makes them a bit simular to Oto's. Not all are likely in best condition to survive, especialy if they where very long in the lfs or at the importer. Unfortunately than there is a risk of a high death rate. You have to be a bit lucky to catch the super strong ones.. My lfs doesn't stock them, probably to little demand and or a to high death rate, i always have to order. I think it's a combiantion issue, all death before sold because they are such picky eaters. Latest order i was very late they were weeks if not months at the importer and i had 8 death within 8 weeks of the 10 i bought.

Now i keep track of the importers web site if i see low stocking numbers i wait till they are sold out..

And happened to see last saterday they were freshly in stock again. So i ordered a new batch of 10 today.. I get them thursday. And now i finaly have a sufficient small life food source in the garden.. I can start straight away with rearing the to good condition again and get them over the hill. Because only feeding death bloodworms, daily, is too much bioload and a planaria bom.

Anyway, than i will be back up to 14 individuals.. :) A good chance of having both sexes and with sufficient life food i might get them to spawn.

wow i must have been very lucky then as i bought 6 and only lost one.

re breeding i had a look about before i ordered mine and found this on scotcat.com
https://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/hara_hara.htm
There has been a report of the breeding of Hara jerdoni by an aquarist here in the U.K. where they laid their eggs in a spawning mop. The eggs had a black nucleus and had a jelly like substance surrounding them. This species may have been Hara hara instead of H. jerdoni as stated in the article.The females are usually heavier looking than the males and it is said that the males have slightly longer fins and barbels.

and i think i remember seeing a video on youtube as well.

best of luck breeding them i would love to see a wright up of your attempt and hopefully, success.

dave

Thank you.. :) I'm not realy all the way into breeding them.. But it would be a nice bonus if they do. The tank setup suits it has a lot of caves and other spawning places and hiding places for fry if they want too.. Not so long ago is saw Trichopsis pumila fry 5 or 6 mm in size spontainiusly appear out of the jungle. Didn't even notice them mating.. Seems the tank is healthy enough to make fry survive with me interfaring to much.

And indeed a bit of luck is what we all need. Since anything wild caught, you never know what age and condition they are in. At least i'm lucky with getting them pretty cheap.. € 1.50 a piece. :)

Back