• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hard water dilemma

OwenJ

I'm facing a challenge with my fish tank: the water is extremely hard (also have seiryu stone), making it difficult to keep cherry shrimp and I feel my plants struggle as well. I'm considering several options to address these issues but can't seem to settle on one.

• Option 1: Replace with a new fish tank and I get to rescape it and add new rocks that don’t add to water hardness and try new plants. £215
  • Option 2: Get an ro system so that I can have better chance at success with keeping cherry shrimp but there could be a risk of upsetting my established fish. £60
  • Option 3: Get a CO2 system so I can have plants that look amazing. £215

Equipment:
  • Tank: 30L cube (31cmx31cmx31cm)
  • light: Chihiros C2 RGB (8 hours @ 17%)
Stocking:
  • 8 CPD’s, 2 Amanos, 1 cherry shrimp and 1 nerite snail
Parameters:
  • Temp: 21C-23C
  • Ammonia: 0
  • Nitrite: 0
  • Nitrate: 8 ppm
  • Ph: 7.4
  • GH: 16 (Tap & Tank)
  • KH: (12-tap) (6-Tank)
Maintenance:
  • 15% weekly water change tap
1712857327226.png

Option 2 as it gives you more control in ability to house sensitive species (both flora and fauna).

Options 1 is inevitable and Option 3 looks like the itch you’ll eventually scratch, likely in conjunction with both Option 2 and 1.

:)

If you only change 5L of water every week, you could look into buying RO water instead of a system. Then, if you like the result, you can buy the equipment.

Neither CO2 nor removing the rocks will help with your shrimp problem if the tap water is already much harder than what you want.

Hi all,
If you want a cheaper option for soft water <"rainwater might be a possibility">?, <"I use it">.
I'm facing a challenge with my fish tank: the water is extremely hard (also have seiryu stone), making it difficult to keep cherry shrimp and I feel my plants struggle as well.
  • GH: 16 (Tap & Tank)
  • KH: (12-tap) (6-Tank)
What does your water provider say for water parameters? It is likely that your dGH and dKH are similar (<"for geological reasons">) and if you live in the SE, or E, of England they will be <"about 17dGH & 17 dKH">.

If your water is <"already hard and alkaline"> it is unlikely that the Seiryu stone will make it any harder.

Tank looks good, but <"less alkaline water"> will allow you to grow a wider range of plants.

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
If you only change 5L of water every week, you could look into buying RO water instead of a system

Agree it might be worth buying RO in the short term. For my 25L shrimp tank, I decided to use 50:50 RO and (hard) tap water. My tap water a while ago measured GH 22 and KH 14. Using the 50:50 mix, my tank currently has GH5 and KH 2-3. I get the RO from my local Maidenhead Aquatics branch. Its not expensive - take your 15L container with you! See my tank journal Low tech nano - first try Lots of similarities in our tanks except I don't have the seiryu stone though.

I don't understand the difficulty with hard water and cherry shrimp (neocaridina)... do you mean you are having trouble getting them to breed successfully? That might be the case for hard water but they can certainly grow and thrive in hard water. If you're having trouble keeping them alive I would suspect there is something else going on that would need to be addressed.

Hi all,
That might be the case for hard water but they can certainly grow and thrive in hard water.
Soft water (or lack of alkalinity) was definitely the <"problem that I had with them">. a lot of people keep them in tap water in this area, and the water is pretty much fully saturated with calcium (Ca++) and bicarbonate (2HCO3-) ions.

cheers Darrel

Back