• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hardscape drying out

Matt Havens

Hi all I have tried looking through the forum but cannot find anything regarding hardscape and how long I could keep it dry.

I have tropica soil, substrate and powder. Will this last out the bag for any lenghth of time?

I have also some redmoor root which has been soaking for a good month or longer. Could I dry this enough to play around with a dry hardscape? I.e. a practice run with no mess. And also would it need soaking again before the tank is set up or would it hold moisture for a week or two and still sink?

Thanks

Matt

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The Tropica soils are fine, they just get dryer ;) & will require a bit more spraying to dampen once you're ready to dry-start, if flooding, you may get a few more "floating" particles - again if you dampen thoroughly before flooding, this is easily remedied (spray thoroughly, wait 24h or so - you can often see that "free" water has decreased.

Soaked wood can dry quite quickly or fairly slowly (depends on ambient temp & humidy as well as wood type) - some woods are almost dense enough to sink without soaking, these are obviously the easiest to work with.
Soaked wood only has to surface dry before hardscape play - usually a couple hours

Just place stones to hold wood in place when you flood tank.

When you say drying out... Is it an emersed set up?

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
Wood?

No this is going to be planted up and flooded but I want to have time to play with the hardscape beforehand and then order my plants for the following weekend making adjustments through the week

Wood?

No this is going to be planted up and flooded but I want to have time to play with the hardscape beforehand and then order my plants for the following weekend making adjustments through the week

Oh I see, I would say you probably need to keep soaking it and then cover it with cling film and mist often.

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Back