• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Harrassed to death. Really?

idris

I've had 3 male Dwarf Red Gouramis for several months. Although I was suprised, I was originally told they'd be fine without females. This turned out to be bobbins as they're been quite agressive towards eachother.
6 or 8 weeks ago I bought 3 females. They lasted about 3 or 4 weeks and then all died within a few days of eachother. All the water tests I have seemed ok (yes I know they're not acurate, but they can give an indication of something being severly wrong) and there were no obvious signs of infection or parasites.
Four days ago I replaced the 3 females with 3 more from the same LFS. One has died today.

I've spoken to the LFS and run through the whole story at length and the person I spoke to is adamant that the females have just been harrassed to death.

I know the generally recommendation for males and females of many species is 1M : 2F, and I am aware the stocking levels were not best, but it's a good sized, well planted tank with plenty of hiding places. So I am a little skeptical.

I've spoken to another LFS (from whom I bought the male Gouramis), explained the situation, and they are equally skeptical.

The thoughts of impartial exxperts please.

If you're happy with 3 Gourami's then try and rehome 2 of the males and replace with 2 females. DG's can be evil when they get a bee in their bonnet.

If you want more then try 1 male and 3 females.

On another point, why not consider Honey Gourami's instead. Far less potential health issue's, generally easy going and can be purchased in either red, or the more natural looking yellow.

Back