• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Has anyone grown this red plant, Macarenia clavigera

tiger15

Macarenia clavigera is a species of aquatic plant that is unique to the Caño Cristales River. It is a submerged plant that grows on the riverbed during the dry season when the water level is low and the river is exposed to sunlight.

The plant has several distinctive features that allow it to thrive in the river’s unique environment. Its bright red color is due to the presence of pigments called carotenoids, which absorb blue and green light and reflect red and orange light. This gives the river its distinctive red color.

1698246556180.jpeg

It's been discussed a few times but not sure anyone had been successful with it due to its rarity and particular needs.

I'm sure Tom would have made it a 'thing' if it was reasonably possible.

There are some interesting links in the threads though and it's a beautiful plant, perhaps best observed in its natural environment.

It's been discussed a few times but not sure anyone had been successful with it due to its rarity and particular needs.

I'm sure Tom would have made it a 'thing' if it was reasonably possible.

There are some interesting links in the threads though and it's a beautiful plant, perhaps best observed in its natural environment.

So this plant has been explored for the aquarium hobby, but has not been commercialized. It belongs to the Podostemaceae - Wikipedia Podostemaceae genera of which many species are epiphytes adhere to rock in rapids and waterfalls with suction cups. So it is similar to Bucephalandra, but to my surprise, not one species is available commercially for the hobby given their intense color and unique growth habitat.

Reminds me of that "Eleocharis sp. Red" discussed many years ago. Has anyone figured out what it is exactly?

I think there’s an article in the November/December issue of Amazonas about this plant, worth having a look

Back