• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Have i done it wrong ?

bramswell

Seedling
I had a clean up in my tank (vision 180) added lots of new plants, got the c02 set up and tided up some of the old plants.
I bought some seachem excel to try and help with an algea problem.
i had read some where that droping the excel directly on the algea can kill it,

this is where it might have gone wrong...i had the plants out of the water as i was having a trim up and dropped a few small drops of excel onto algea infected leaves of some anubis and java moss

now, after a week,on the leaves i dosed the algea has died off but the leaves are now turning to skelingtons and died and the moss just looks brown

was i only suppose to squirt the excel on the algea when it is under water??

i have removed the dead leaves but a few are still dying, hope the rest of the plant will be ok

depends how much you used! Liquid carbon is actually pretty nasty stuff so it's best to dilute it if applying it directly to algae. Remember algae are just basic plants, so things that are harmful to algae can also be harmful to plants! Hope this helps, Matt

I used about 1-2 drops per leaf so i guess it was too much for the plant..

hope the rest of it survives, its still flowering so may be fine

Some plants don't like Excel, Valis is an obvious example. Have seen some people reporting the same for anubias (think I saw a post on aquatic plant central describing what you've got) but never had that experience myself. Never dosed directly on to them when out of water though.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Hi, you had to do it underwater. Anubias could be dosed out of the water but you have to rinse it very fast, in few seconds.
It dies if you leave it longer. I think anubias is the only plant which could be cleaned that way out of the water. The rest have to be dosed under.

well i have a few more leaves dying back but quite a few new ones growing so i dont think ive killed it completely

Back