• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Have I got this right!

giwight

Hi All,

After some extensive reading of the forum I have now got all the equipment I need for a pressurised system, Lunapet adjustable regulator, needle valve, solenoid, and Up Atomiser etc.

I intend add CO2, increase the lighting period to 10 hours and move over to E I dosing on my main tank and try 50% of the E I dose on my low tech tank. Both tanks are Rio 240's which I calculate hold approx 190 litres

I have made up 900ml of Macros as follows:

Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) - 36g
Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) - 6g
Potassium Sulphate (K2SO4) - 36g
Magnesium Sulphate Hep - 120g
DI Water - 900ml

Using James' Dosing Calculator this should give me the following analysis per 50ml dose added to the tank

Nitrate 6.45ppm
Potassium 9.3ppm
Phosphate 1.22ppm
Magnesium 3.47ppm

My tap water has low nitrates 8ppm and very low magnesium, will this work or have I missed something?

Regards
George

Hi,
The numbers look fine, although I wouldn't bother with the K2SO4. You simply don't need it if you are dosing that level of KNO3. Adding it won't hurt, but one can save money and make things simpler by deleting it. You can also experiment with using less Epsom Salts as well.

50% EI is way too much for a non-carbon enriched tank. You can save money and complication there as well. The standard dosing for non CO2 tanks is something like 1/8 teaspoon of KNO3 and KH2PO4 1/32 per 20 gallons, so multiply by 3 for a 60G tank and you get 3/8 tsp KNO3 and 3/32 tsp KH2PO4 once a week assuming you have a normal fish load. With this basic guideline all you'd have to do is use the same mixture and simply add one 50 ml dose per week.

Cheers,

Back