• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HD Video problems

jms1971

Seedling
Hi all,
Hoping for some advice. Have a new camera but cant seem to transfer hd video from camera to computer. I get a stuttering, faltering vid! Its fine in lower definition. My camera is a Nikon P300. Do I need to use the HDMI connection to transfer files of this type or is it that my ageing computer simply isn't up to the task?
jason

Hi jms,

Yeah it's more than likely the ageing computer full 1080p hd video can be quite hardware intensive to playback.

Here's a couple of things to check assuming your on a pc not a mac.

Check the CPU load during playback using the task manager. It'll give you a better idea of what it's doing.
Check for any program's running in the background with big chunks of CPU usage. Such as antivirus.

As always make sure you have plenty of RAM. Video editing uses loads of the stuff. I have 16gb in my work computer and everything is silky smooth.

Also depending on the hardware acceleration used to playback the video (if any) your graphics card may be the culprit. Make sure your using the latest drivers.

RAM is dirt cheap to upgrade and decent graphics cards can be purchased for a reasonable price if you don't go for the high end ones (certainly cheaper than replacing the whole computer).

Your hard drive shouldn't be an issue, but if you are playing the video direct from the SD card a slow USB connection would cause problems.

Hope that helps a bit,

Richard

Back