• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HDR aquarium photo

brancaman

Hi, been reading a lot lately about hdr technics, and when i was doing weekly 50% water change i realised the only way i could show what our eyes can see but the camera won´t show was with hdr techniques. So i picked my canon 550D and took 5 shots with different readings and post edit on phtomatix and the result was this:

HDReiwcaquaxisto_zps5294af28.jpg

Yes, i forgot to clean the glass :facepalm: :( and ancistrus got a shadow as also my tetras but was my first atempt . What did i made wrong and what can i do to improve in further attempts?

If you want to reduce shadowing, you will need to take one shot in RAW and use your RAW converter to generate the 5 exposures needed for HDR enhancement. Some scapes lend itself well to HDR while some look better with some mysterious dark spots. Be careful not to overdo the effect or it will look a bit fake.

I hate 99% of HDR with a passion. Everything that you want to achieve in terms of balancing exposures throughout an image can be done with local adjustments of levels using layer masks and then you don't get that the awful muddied midtones, grey highlights and haloing that plagues so much poorly done HDR. Don't do it!

Yes, it´s true that without precaution you end with awful photos but that depends of how you do it. The true is that software like Photomatix is a bit like Instagram, easy to work with and you don't have to be super pro photoshop user or need of expensive hardware.

My Canon 6D has an in-built HDR mode option. Works well. I'll post a pic later.
Unfortunately, not many of us have such expensive camera to work with.:what: :)

Back