• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

heavily planted tank and using light with halide and T5

jarthel

is there a reason to use both? most halides fittings I've seen has T5 bulbs as well. I suppose this is mostly for saltwater setups. But for a freshwater planted setup, do you need to run both?

The only reason I can see is for aesthetics. e.g. 10K on the halide and something warmer for the T5.

thank you :)

ps. I searched the net and the forum but can't find what I'm looking for :(

chrisr01 said:
Hi jarthel

Definitely no need to run both for a planted setup.

Chris

I've been searching again and have come across some nice discussions. It seems some initially run the T5 for say 2 hours. 4hours for halide and then 2 hours again for the T5.

Any thoughts on such a setup?

Hi,

The nicest advantage with the metal halide is that it generates the light from a single small spot (the arc within the center of the bulb) which in turn creates a nature like "light rippel" through the water column, if there is turbidity on the water surface from the waterpump outlet. You will loose this effect if the tubes are on at the same time.

Also some halide bulb generates a very natural appearence with sharper shadows and also some bulbs have very nice colors on their own. But not all bulbs are equal and I have experienced two new bulbs from the same manufacturer and the same type, where one gave greenish hue and the other a slight bluish...... so it seems that one needs some luck when buying a pair to get them matched. Also it means it is quite expensive to "try and error" your way to find a bulb with the color of your liking.......

Most often I have seen a metal halide in combination with blue flourecent tubes that have their spectrum concentrated in
a peak where the zooxantelle organisms photosynthezise within some corals......this application is suitable for
salt water aquariums but in my opinion is a bit to blue for freshwater, unless you want to simlate the light in some spring rivers in Florida (Crystal river, Rainbow river).

Cheers

Back