• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello everyone

Christie_ZXR

Hiya everyone :)

I'm still pretty new to this planting business. I've had my first sort of "proper" planted tank up and running for a good few months now. I've really enjoyed doing it, and the fish seem pretty happy with my efforts too :) (My cpd's were doing the circle dance the other day!! So I'm crossing my fingers and hoping like mad for babies!)
I'm really interested in Diana Walstad's way of doing things (got the book), and in learning about some sort of combination/combinations between her method, and the "hi tech" ways.

I still need to learn a lot of the basics too though! Like algae, what causes it and how to get rid of the bloomin stuff!!

Anyway, here are the two planted tanks I've got going at the moment;

Bigtankjustcleaned.jpg

This is the first one I've done. Substrate is soil capped with gravel, 2x "plant tubes" (I've yet to get my head around lighting properly! So I just bought the one's with "for plants" written on the packets!!) DIY co2 made with yeast and sugar, which so far so good seems to be working a treat, although I'm liking the idea of making a kit from a fire extinguisher, so I may swap to that at some point for better control. I do like DIY stuff, it's really satisfying when it finally goes right! Powerhead on the left (which also blows the co2 about) fluval 305 filter, and I'm currently experimenting with popping 2 drops of jbl ferropol 24 in daily to see how that goes.
Fish are guppies, which I love with a passion! And celestial pearl danios who I'm hoping will breed, but I'm probably being far too optomistic there! Nature will likely take it's course and the fry will get chomped, if they even make it to that stage without the eggs being chomped first.

100_2120.jpg

This is my 30L biorb. Taken the filtration out and replaced it with a small internal for the time being. Substrate is soil capped with sand. I've mucked around with the old filter, and have the option of running either co2 through it now, or air if I want to. There's a tube mounted on the shelf above, and the biorb own lighting is gone. The tube's fitting is very DIY, and I'm not sure the flowers would be to everyone's taste!! :lol: The tank gets a bit of daylight, and the only things living in there are a single betta and a nerite snail, so I might be able to go filter-less and do this one the natural way, which would be nice. I'm going to see how the plants do with it as is, and then take it from there. Plus I need to read that book through properly first anyway!

So this is me, hello! :wave: I'm looking forward to chatting to all of you and learning some more about the various different ways of doing things :thumbup:

Christie x

Hello Christie, things seem to be going well for you :) I highly recommend getting FE CO2 going, but then I quickly got fed up with doing yeast mixes and switched to liquid carbon before (very recently ie in the last week!) getting my own FE set up going :D

Viv

Hi Viv, thankyou! :)

I'll defo be looking into in. Luckily the person who does our fire extinguishers in the shop is also a really good customer of ours, so hopefully I can get hold of an extinguisher for a reasonable price too. Just got to be certain I've researched it fully because I don't fancy exploding one!!

lol! Hello stranger!

Thought I probably ought to finally join a proper planted tank forum and learn how these things are done. :D

Thanks for those links viv, I've already had a look at one of them, but I'll have a proper look through the other too :)

Back