• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello from Italy

Aristotelis

Hello everybody,

First of all I'd like to really thank the admins and all the members of this wonderful forum. I've been lurking and learning all there is to learn since 1 year and all the information discussed here is pure gold. Following all the information about Ei and CO2 I solved so many problems.

I have an old used and ugly 125Rio tank with an internal filter. I bought this used and in bad shape (lot's of scratches) as a test to try doing a planted aquarium with my son when he was 8 (he is now almost 11). We had great success, especially lately following this forum advice. Right now is a bit of a jungle with not much "scape" in it, it has seen better does but I just wanted to create more plant mass for a future project.
The main issue I have with this tank is that for various reasons I'm forced to use tap water which is liquid rock hard (the zone is famous for its marble excavations...). This limits my selections of plants and fish and generally creates so much deposits that makes me unhappy. As I said, for various reasons I can't install an inverse osmosis here and can't go back and forth on my LFS for 50lts of osmosis water every week.
IMG_2339.jpg

Anyway, lately I bought a scapers dennerle 35l tank for my son, and we did that totally low tech with osmosis water. This was such a success both in terms of algae free plant grow (slow but steady), low maintenance (1 water change in 3 months) and works so good, that I'm now considering getting rid of my old Rio125 and do a proper big and shallow tank low tech scape, again fill in with osmosis and just add osmosis water for evaporation. But I'll need some info before it and I'm sure this forum will be very helpful.
IMG_2342.jpg

So yeah, big thanks to everybody in this forum, thank you so much.

Hi Aristotelis :)
Your tanks look great!
I'm guessing you're from around Carrera from the marble reference,my aunt lives not too far from there and the water is pretty hard!

Hi thanks for the welcome posts.
I live very close to the botticino marble excavations. Great place, lot's of green, lot's of rivers and rain... but yes the water is extremely hard. GH over 35, often over 40... There is also no trace of Mg in it so I'm forced to add MgSO4 with the EI method, which raise the GH even more, so yeah a bit complicated.

Just for fun, here's the results of a liquid rock hard water.
I do weekly 50-60% water changes on this tank with exclusively tap water.

The white film you can see, is just deposit as I pull out the water. A little bit of lemon and it goes away... but yeah. Oh and no, this image is by no means photoshopped or modified. Just a phone photo as it is.

deposits.jpg

Nice thread @Edvet
I'll post my tap water values as well the tank water values at the end of the week, on Sunday during the weekly water change.

Back