• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello from Wrexham

dneal

Hi - I'm Dave. Kept fish as a youngster with my brother. We learnt a lot trying to keep gobies, anenomes, etc, alive from shoreline rock pools near our home. Daily trips for fresh seawater soon turned our attention to a simpler style of fishkeeping... but the interest in biotopes never waned.

That 'naturalist'-type interest brought me to aquatic plants. I'm not taken with the so-called 'nature aquarium'. Not exactly natural, are they? ... more a picture painted with whatever flora and fauna serves the purpose.

A mirror on nature is of more interest to me. Perversely, that might mean a surprising lack of plants in some instances (say an UK riverbank - Willow Moss on a stone, but not much else!). Then in others, it might mean the complete opposite of a 'nice tank' (stagnant, ditch in SE Asia, surface covered with floating plants and bottom covered with rotting vegetation... and a bunch of Sparkling Gouramis lurking in the shadows and literally sparkling when a ray of light gets through.)

Memorables from the past...
  • Pair of C. fasciata (Indian Gourami?) doing 'what comes natural' without us even trying to breed them.
    Amazon tributary - lots of wood, Echinodorus, Bleeding Heart Tetras and Corydoras.
    Shoal of five Giant Danio chasing through roots of floating Indian Fern.

Current/future ...
  • 11l nano: Vesicularia, E. parvula, Sag. subulata; 2 Otocinclus, 2 Glowlight tetras, 1 male Endler's guppy.
    66l (old 24"x15"x12") work in progress: (end-on, like a room-divider) AquabasisPlus under playsand, Echinodous quadricostatus, E. parvula, Sag. subulata. About a week into a fishless cycle.
    80cm Ferplast terrapin tank (back lower than front): (bargain from reptile store closing down) Either UK stream/river or SE Asia riparium.

So - that's me. Maybe eccentric and opinionated, but definitely an enthusiast!

Dave

Hi Dave,
welcome along, there are a few great vivs on this site and some part emerged and emersed scapes too :thumbup:
Pretty much something for everyone.
Shame your not into the 'nature aquarium' being located in Wrexham, the Green Machine is on your doorstep and is well worth a visit with very knowledgable staff in all aspects of the planted tank.
Cheerio for now,
Ady

Ady34 said:
Hi Dave,
welcome along, there are a few great vivs on this site and some part emerged and emersed scapes too :thumbup:
Pretty much something for everyone.
Shame your not into the 'nature aquarium' being located in Wrexham, the Green Machine is on your doorstep and is well worth a visit with very knowledgable staff in all aspects of the planted tank.
Cheerio for now,
Ady
Thanks for the welcome, Ady. I hope I didn't tread on toes with that remark about nature aquariums. In reality, I suppose I appreciate what's happening, but sometimes they don't 'do it' for me.
I do go to The Green Machine - even buy stuff there - even Tropica plants that Pets at Home sell for less money. There's no compromise on quality and variety... and yes the staff are definitely knowledgeable.
Re 'nature' and 'natural': James Findlay's Tributary is my kind of scheme. Looks as though it could be a real stream. I like Nature's Chaos, though it doesn't look like a natural scene to me. I should probably appreciate it more as 'art'. Nevertheless, the fish are behaving naturally - the a shoal of corys tumble about nuzzling the sand, the way 800+ neons move 'as one' in the shadow of those enormous Aponogetons, etc. Though I might not appreciate it as a whole, I definitely like some of the outcomes.
Right... now to devour threads on ferts/CO2/light balance, cultivating emersed plants, and lots more.

Back