• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

hello, some questions

uberape

Seedling
I have recently got into aquariums and for the first year tried to make it look "natural" with like one piece of wood a bit of slate and a javafern. I saw top ten tanks somwehere and realised that I was way off. I now respect the art of tank scaping but was wondering this: was the japanese artist, mr amano the first to do it then everybody copied him? I thought this because alot of tanks have the same aesthetic and I know there is a nature aesthetic but there are alot of tanks with the same natural scene, grass and a rock usually, or a few more but definitely a recognisable set. Is this due to the plants available? the rocks? or influence? just poking my nose in.
I was also wondering if there is a uk (hopefully northern uk) aqua plant expo or convention where i can walk around, like dobbies or something, and select the plants i would like. The 4 pet stores in edinburgh only ever keep the same plants and online pictures are so untrustworthy. thanks :D

Welcome mate,

Amano was the guy that made 'nature aquariums, big. I doubt he was the 1st to plant a tank to represent nature scenes, but he certainly brought it to the for forefront of the aquascaping scene. Before this 'dutch' style aquariums where a big thing.

Within 'nature style' you have many different looks, from iwagumi to jungles to stem only scree's ect. There are trends, certain plants are must haves, and the 'in' plant this can be due to it being new of just as plain as that plant being a nice looking plant that can be easier or challenging to grow making it a challange or an easy one to fill some space.

There's places like The Green Machine, there online and they have a shop in wales(somewhere haha) there pictures do not do there plants portions and quality any justice there are amazing.

Also you have aquaJardin not sure when they are but there online stuff is of great quality too, as too with aqua essentials.

These are all site sponsers. Sometimes doing forum discounts.

Have a ook around the forum and get stuck into conversations. The journals are extremely helpful for picking up tips and knowledge :)

Wow haha that's my long post of the day out the way :)

Yes! Another one north of the border!

thanks for the responses ill get stuck into the co2 discussions, I am for the first time trying to tame a d.i.y system. thanks for the added background information as well, i do not have time to read anything more than a message and was a bit in the dark .m

Back