• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello there

Saffa

Hi my name is Adam
I’ve been keeping South American cichlids for years, I’ve recently decided to do something completely different and start a planted tank. Previously all the fish I’ve kept have been a no go when it comes to planted tanks due to their destructive nature or tendency of eating them. Anyways I’ve managed to get hold of a handful of juviniles andinoacara stahlsbergi (the true green terror) and have also been doing a lot homework on the type of planted tank setup I’d like to end up with. The inspiration I got was from watching a you tube thread from Rachael O’Leary and her 150 gallon modified eastern hill stream tank. Her setup is low tech no co2 or ferts with decent lighting. I’ve been looking into running co2 in my tank but I’m a complete novice in the planted game and have absolutely no experience with co2 so its a bit daunting to me to say the least. I’m scared about the risks of fluctuations in ph or gassing my fish (maybe too paranoid I don’t know). I don’t know where to start with buying the rite equipment first time and I dont want to end up buying twice I’d rather do it properly. The tank I’ll be using will be my 6ft 450 litre tank, I’ve looked a bit into co2 setups and my local availability of refilling canisters. I’ll probably end up with a couple 2kg jbl canisters even though they are more expensive to refill and purchase in the first place the convenience of getting the refilled is real easy and close for me. Am I correct in thinking the jbl ph controller computer thingy is a waste of time??? . Also what a decent regulator and kit for me that is quality and reliable. Look forward to learning with you all and sharing my project and experiences

Welcome Adam.
Its a big tank you have there.I will advice U to go low tech as a start and when U get your head arround the growing healty plants bit then if U still wish go CO2.It is not easy to get the CO2,flow and distribution of nutrients right it big tanks and it will be much better if U dont go in the deep straight from the start as with CO2 things and especially bad things happen very quick..There loads of plants that U will grow without CO2.Have a look at easy Tropica range.
Regards Konsa

Thanks Konsa that’s what I’ll do then. I think I might need to upgrade my lighting to start with? Currently using fluval aquasky. Any recommendations on good quality plant lights for a 6 ft tank 24” deep for low tech plants

Some of the types of plants I want to grow are (probably all spelled wrong) buce, crips, bolbitis and anubius

From all of those U mentioned I dont have Bolbitis but all of the rest are growing very well in my tanks which are all low tech.But seen many people growing Bolbitis low tech too.As for lights your plants really wont careI am not familiar with Fluval aquasky but if is fresh water and not blue marine should do.I use cheap 2 pound 6500Kelvin bulbs from Lampspecks.Any white light will be utilised by the plants.The plant growing lights brands are selling are only to separate U from your money.U choose sth that is pleasing to your eye.All plants U mentioned are not very light hungry and grow well in shade too.
Regards Konsa

Last edited:
Hi
I use sand in 2 tanks of mine and have one dirtied (soil) tank capped with small gravel.
I dose the water column quite heavy for low tech 1/2 EI values if not a bit more every day and do large 50%-80% water changes every week.Have high plant mass in all tanks and this includes floating plants as my lights are a bit too strong for low tech and I cant dim or lift them higher.
Sand if too fine is not the best growing medium as blocks the water circulation when compacts but its doable if U go for coarse one or lets say fine gravel 2-4 mm.My soil tank was growing like a charm for first 6 to 10 months but sth happened in substrate and the rooted in the substrate plants started melting .
If U can get some clay based substrate with good CEC this will help as will give U bigger margine for mistakes.Hard Akadama from bonsai places is good option if on budget.
Regards Konsa

Back