• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello ukaps

scubabag

Time to member up!

I've used this site as a resource for a long time and thought it was time I became a member. I've just decided to strip down my study tank for a new layout as over time with replanting they were getting a bit similar.

Going for a lighter substrate and dragon rock only but still in the setting up stage (see image)

Happy to have some planting suggestions or tank images for planting this new layout. I'm thinking to go with a couple of carpets, keeping some of the mini grass eleocharis on the bottom level and monte carlo on the 2nd level. Then alot of anubias variety, cyperus halferi as background and experimenting with growing some herbs in glass bowls with my spider plant (basil, etc)

No doubt going through the new tank phase will be a pain but fingers-crossed some good photos come Jan/Feb next year with some status on how I got on.

Attachments

• study tank 1.png
    study tank 1.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 96
  • hall tank 1.png
    hall tank 1.png
    13.2 MB · Views: 59
  • study setting up 1.png
    study setting up 1.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 62
New setup is just over 1 month... I made a mistake fixing one anubias as over glued and killed the plant. My monte carlo is ok and looks ready for a trim to promote root spreading along with the hair grasses that I kept from the original setup. I carried across a bunch of stem plants my spider plant and hydrocotyle for plant mass to help with stability. Plus, I've added a couple of basil plants which are doing really well (just cuttings off a plant)

So far keeping the algae at bay and have a small cleanup crew in place (2 nerite snail, 5 oto catfish, 6 amono shrimp and few larger cherry shrimp that got carried over and haven't been eaten by the 3 candy tetra)

All the fish were carried over as I didn't want them in my other tank.

Regards maintenance I've been doing approx 50% water changes each week, the filter was primed with some old media as was the substrate which I think helped. I did have a nitrite spike but spotted and sorted with more frequent water changing for a week or so. CO2 is coming on approx 3hr before the light and going off 2hr before the light now. Finally, I mix my own plant food from dry and feed with a jecod but currently only adding water through it. I plan to replace the water with plant feed mix in a couple of weeks or if the stem plants start to look a bit yellow before that...

Will do another update in a month or so :D

Attachments

• 1mth - image1.jpg
    1mth - image1.jpg
    713.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 1mth - image2.jpg
    1mth - image2.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 36
Back