• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello

cbelgard

Seedling
Hi, I have just joined this forum after being signposted by another more general "fish" forum and I'm slightly overwhelmed by the number of boards and topics, as well as massively jealous at the example tanks and embarrassed by my own pathetic attempts to establish a planted tank.

So, I have several tanks but the one I want a real planted look in is a 240 Jewel Rio with T5 lights, the substrate is mainly gravel with a sand area at the front, the filter is the internal one that came with it and I have no CO2. I’ve had it about a year so cycling etc is not an issue.

I’ve tried various plants but currently have some Aunbias on Bogwood doing OK, some Sagittaria doing OK but planted too far apart, two types of Hygrophila – one doing OK and one with lots of new feathery growth but bald and rotting stems, possibly Corymbosa and Difformis. The overall look is very much “fish tank with a few straggly plants”.

The livestock in their currently are four Platys, two Dwarf Gourami, three catfish (not sure what type but not Corys), about 20 Rasbora’s, some Anamo Shrimp and Assassin Snails.

After reading some of the advice on this site / forum I was considering completely starting again but I have no-where to re-home the fish so what would members recommend I do to try and achieve my planted ambitions on a budget of about £100-£150?

Also what should I be doing to maintain what I have as I think that is part of the problem.

Welcome. Your first priority I think is injected co2. Stripping down your tank and starting again (i.e. with active substrate) may not be impossible whilst keeping same livestock but I will wait for others to advise on that as haven't done it myself.

Back