• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello

Lisa1

Hi All

Am new to the planted aquarium world and really enjoying it so far. Am in the Swindon area. Have kept fish in the past, but now am really into the plant world, would love to achieve the mini jungle effect. However typical me jumps into the deep end, excuse the pun, and is learning as they go, instead of learning first and then having ago.

Anyway have one little problem l went out and bought my carpeting plant "Herianthus Callitrichoides Cuba today, l have taken off all the wooly stuff that it was attached to it, and broke the plant up was told l would get ten plants out of it, but l haven't got quite that many. But l am having really trouble making it stay put in the substate either keeps floating up or some plants even have the roots stuck out into the water, any tips for keeping in place? :)

Thanks Lisa

Hey Lisa,
Welcome to the best Forum, this side of China.

That 'Wooly' stuff you removed from your HC cuba can be left on normally. It is fibreglass, and I would have recommended cutting it quite small, so that there was about 1cm thickness for plant roots, then would have cut that up into little 'squares' and planted that way.

People tend to have a 'dry start' method if they want to achieve a considerable carpet of HC as it grows readily and obviously cannot float if theres no water. :)

Good luck,
You'll find everything you'll require on this site, and so much more.
Don't be afraid to ask for help, with anything, the guys here ain't so bad ;)

Hi

Thank you for your reply, I should have asked first patience is not my strong point lol.

I have kind of wedged it between the front of the tank and a piece of bog wood. Looking at the label now it says it difficult to grow so l have a challenge on my hands like l said in at the deep end thats me :D

Thank you for the welcome

Lisa

Hi Lisa, welcome :) Sounds like you have a challenge with the HC. One of our sponsors, The Green Machine, have videos on their website that show you how to prepare and plant several common plant types. You may find that useful :) So, a good place to start on here to get lots of advice and help is to post a Journal thread. We love seeing what anyone is talking about and you won't find anything but constructive criticism and help being offered here. Remember to give us the specs and details... You will get the idea of relevant info by looking at the many fascinating journals that people have on here :thumbup: Good luck.

PS, if you were thinking of getting a CO2 setup, there is an excellent article on how to set up a FE CO2 kit (so much cheaper AND better than shop bought ones). As it happens I am selling a Fire Extinguisher and will be driving past Swindon on Thursday, should you be interested. Feel free to send me a PM but no offence will be taken if you are not intending to go down that route :)

Have fun !!!

Hello,
Please restrict posts in this section to introductions only. Troubleshooting and problem solving questions must be posted in their applicable sections, NOT in the New Members Introductions section.

Cheers,

Back