• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello

Bobbs

Hi from me and the Kingdom of Fife,

i came across this place whilst researching how to set up a dirted tank ,so thanks @Tim Harrison great thread https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/soil-substrate-or-dirted-tank-a-how-to-guide.18943/ also you saved me a few quid on items i thought i needed but perhaps not so, ,such as a bacterial starter fluid .

Waiting for a few bits and bobs to arrive and then make a plant order,, i was going with aquarium gardens for these but any other suggestion would be welcome , i have only kept a low teck nano tank for 6 months and not planted, so little experience,

i plan to start a thread for this new one so all welcome to chip in with any advice when i do .

Thanks ,Bobbs.

Welcome and thanks, glad the tutorial was of some use. Looking forward to your thread, perhaps start a journal 🙂

I’d recommend AG or any of our other sponsors for plants. They all offer high quality and great value for money and excellent customer service.

Thanks for welcome,
@hwscot i was up just past Abroath last month in Auchmithie and collected some jasper and other interesting pebbles for the hardscape, i wish i had got more but it was a dammed steep hill
@Tim Harrison it was and still a great help and i think i meant journal ,is there a difference ?
Hi and thanks @nlgt

it was and still a great help and i think i meant journal ,is there a difference ?
Hi and thanks @nlgt
Just where the thread is posted. New journals are always welcome

@hwscot i was up just past Abroath last month in Auchmithie and collected some jasper and other interesting pebbles for the hardscape, i wish i had got more but it was a dammed steep hill
@Bobbs .. we used to visit Boddin Point often .. long time popular place for finding agates. Not so far north of Auchmithie. Also used to collect live food from rock pools there. Don't think there's much left of the limekilns now but I believe you can still get down to the shore.

Be interested to see your hardscape when you're ready.

Thanks welcome @sparkyweasel @bazz @PARAGUAY ,

i have read a few of your posts already sparkyweasel, advice noted 👍

So i getting close to putting a tank together , I've been transitioning a few house plants for the adventure i plan on about 5 perhaps even more emersed plants alongside the planted tank, the only thing i doing against anything I've read is with the lighting, i am planning on using a 250watt [236 actual watts] full spectrum led light that can be dimmed to required values, raised/lowered. now if your screaming too much , i will have planting around the tank and the emersed plants so i hope to find a sweet spot to keep everyone happy, i ok with understanding Par and all that jazz for light use with plants ;) perhaps not aquatic but i think i can get it to work, if not i have other options and I've noted the recommendation for reduced lighting on the start up to avoid algae with a gradual increase ,, plenty tank changes ,provide fertiliser from start and Co2 and perhaps not the best choice for a new grower is i am going with two soil mixes ,one reason financial the other i have a lot of soil mixes for different uses and i want to try a custom one alongside a branded one.
i got a mix of plants coming ,some described as hard to grow and i placing them where if they don't work out ,that the vision in my mind of what it all looks like wont be shattered , if all i left with is pebbles and a collection of anubias i wont be too much devasted :facepalm:

Welcome from Newhaven. My latest tank has a view of Fife, and the shrimps in there often talk of emigrating over the water. Pro-shrimp are good for plants in my experience. Let me know if you are over in Edinburgh and want some free floating plants. The Scottish break-away group is growing by the week.

perhaps not the best choice for a new grower is i am going with two soil mixes ,one reason financial the other i have a lot of soil mixes for different uses and i want to try a custom one alongside a branded one.
I can't see any problem with this whatsoever, many people will use a variety of substrates (loaded and inert) within a single scape.
Cheers!

Back