• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HELP ammonia please help

lil-lynx

right i have to be quick as im trying to battle this. i have a 5 ft aquarium which is about 400 litres i have 2 fx5s and 2 hydor 2s. yesterday we bought a 2nd hand fx5 with veconton uv sterilizer both came from a really dirty unwel tank. we i got home i gave them a good wash in side the fx5 the media pipes everything. i wake up this morning to find floating gasping fish i have checked the ammonia and its really high ( the highest one my test can read) at this very moment i am doing a water change what else can i do to prevent it killing any more of my fish. im at college all day and mum and dad are at work. will aquarium salt help ? please help

hello I have done about 30% as my sharks were going a bit mad and still a bit `drowsy ` if that's the right word from the ammonia poison. Shall I do another water change in about 2 hours ?. Im of to my LFS to find the best product. I was thinking the fluval bag which go in the filter ` ammonia remover ` I think they are called i would have one in both fx5s I have used these in the past with great result, Or I will get a chemical I add to the water im not sure yet. Whats so good about ammo-lock ? or have you had good experience with it ? thanks

Hi
I would do another water change if possible.Ammo-lock converts ammonia to the less toxic ammonium.
Yes i have used it before.You will still get a positive reading on your test kit for ammonia.
As long as you do plenty of water changes and use the product as per instructions all should be well.
hoggie

Lil-Lxyn

i am sorry to hear about your problem :( , rather than doing onne big water change 50% do lots of little changes spaced out over the day eg. 20% - 3 x a day if you can

Regards
paul

well you will be happy to hear that ammonia is gone :) did lots of water changes :) and its all good thanks for all your help :) novice mistake :(

Back