• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help and advice on lowtech

liamb2324

Hi all
Iv just purchased a new roma 125 iv currently just got playsand in and 6 cardinal tetras. Iv got the sand raised in the back left side and raised a little on the right side. Iv been reading and looking alot on this site for ideas so i was thinking of having my main feature just to the left of the tank and possibly having some high plants behind this and carpet plants infront. So just wanting help on which plants are the best that i can have without using CO2 but could use fertilizer if needed and whats best soil to use? So all help and advice wanted. Picture added
D37E735A-B4BA-4AAB-90CB-0036FDE17617-2304-00000172DD5529B6.jpg

I can rehome the fish if need be and start from scratch by taking the sand out etc also whats the best soil to use and could i put it in a 70litre tub to soak and wait for the ammonia to go and also add plants in to mature abit but still keep the tank running indoors etc just so many questions :) and want to get up and running asap

I'd remove the fish and rehome them for now. This will prevent any deaths in the event of any problems arising.

Soil-wise, I'd go for this: Original & genuine AQUA SOIL formulated for your pond plants (20 Litres) | eBay

I have, however, used this in the past with no problems: http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden-care-watering/compost-sand-bark/multipurpose_compost/B-and-Q-Value-Multipurpose-Compost-10L-9411856?noCookies=false

Soaking isn't necessary unless you have livestock to worry about. Even then, with dense planting from the get go, you won't have any problems (well, mostly). The ammonia will kick start your cycle and plant growth.

If you do a google search for "UKAPS low tech plants", you'll be presented with various threads on the subject. All of them will mention various Hygrophila, Cryptocoryne, Aponogeton etc. that are perfect for the kind of tank you're wanting to create.

For a little inspiration, check out these guys' tanks, they're pretty much at the top of the low-tech game:
Tom's Bucket O' Mud - new riparian stuff | UK Aquatic Plant Society
A 'little' box of chocolates, licorice n all sorts short video | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Good luck!

Brill thank you for the help and info. Just another question should i add gravel to the sil to help aeriate it and could i put my sand on top of the soil so it look nicer?

Brill thank you for the help and info. Just another question should i add gravel to the sil to help aeriate it and could i put my sand on top of the soil so it look nicer?

You can bulk out soil with grit or gravel no problems, just remember to wash the dust off before hand or it may cloud your water. And capping with sand is a good idea, bare soil is really easily disturbed. About an inch of sand on top should do the trick.

You can bulk out soil with grit or gravel no problems, just remember to wash the dust off before hand or it may cloud your water. And capping with sand is a good idea, bare soil is really easily disturbed. About an inch of sand on top should do the trick.
Thanks for that best order some soil then or might go get some john innes no1 as seen alot advising it. Also what a aquascape youve got tom its amazing ill be happy if i get some to grow. If i get some hair grass and maybe some other carpet plants i just plant them about 5cm apart then when they grow just crop them and replant the ones iv cut?

Thanks for that best order some soil then or might go get some john innes no1 as seen alot advising it. Also what a aquascape youve got tom its amazing ill be happy if i get some to grow. If i get some hair grass and maybe some other carpet plants i just plant them about 5cm apart then when they grow just crop them and replant the ones iv cut?

Cutting and replanting only works for stems really. If you chop hairgrass in half the top end will just die (as far as I know! /prepares to be corrected).

Ok i get you now so im better of geting a stemed carpet plant? Also would i do the compost about an inch thick then put the sand ontop about the same? How would i go about with the slopes iv got would i do the compost deeper or do the sand deeper? Sorry for the question but just want to get it right. In the future i probably will get a CO2 unit but wont be soon

Most carpeting will spread by sending out runners, although it's likely to be quite slow with low tech. Lilleaopsis brasiliensis has done well for me, and Alastair's mutant tennelus (or whatever it is) is going berserk. Hairgrass only ever seems to do 'OK' for me, never spreads terribly convincingly. Planting as densely as possible at the start is a good idea - these in vitro plants are very good value for money underwatergarden | eBay.

I'd slope with the soil and keep a fairly even cap of sand on top. The soil is anywhere from 0.5 to 6 inches deep in my tank.

Do i plant loads from the start to get the ammonia down quick to add fish or is that just what your better of doing really? I like the look of the brasiliensis, callitrichiodes. Which plant would be good thats grows like grass. Also i nice bushy plant that could be a nice feature with bogwood which i will hopefully get some moss to grow around brances coming of the bogwood

Do i plant loads from the start to get the ammonia down quick to add fish or is that just what your better of doing really? I like the look of the brasiliensis, callitrichiodes. Which plant would be good thats grows like grass. Also i nice bushy plant that could be a nice feature with bogwood which i will hopefully get some moss to grow around brances coming of the bogwood

L. brasilliensis should do well (it'll be slow but steady spread). H. callitrichiodes is a no go without lots of co2. You could plant some E. acicularis in between the lilleaopsis to get a mix of textures and then it wouldn't matter if it wasn't so dense. The various java fern varieties (Microsorum pteropus) are all really easy to grow (you can attach them to bogwood) and take on a great bushy appearance.

Ok thanks again am just trying to find the thread i saw about best types of plants for non CO2 aquariums. Im just emptying the tank as we speak whilst the kids are in bed then going to get the compost tomorrow and get it put in and the sand on top also been offered some plants but gota look into if they will grow in a non CO2 tank here they are- riccia, dwarf sag, vallias, hair grass?

Ok thank you for all the help im going to go and get a java fern tomorrow and abit of bogwood and do as you say and hopefully it will bush up like some iv seen.

Well of to get my soil for the bottom but still undecided on wether to get aquasoil, john innes but dont no wether to get 1 or 3 or just b n qs own or maybe just some pond compost?

Depends mainly on what sort of water stats you want Liam. They'll all grow plants fine but the John Innes mixes and most other commerical mixes will contain lots of limestone, phosphate and sulphate which will raise your pH and hardness considerably. The Aqua Soil doesn't contain these and won't effect your stats much one way or the other.

Have you thought about what sort of fish you might like to keep? If you're planning on any delicate soft water species then the Aqua Soil would be best, otherwise it probably isn't critical.

Im going to keep a nice group of cardinals, maybe some fancy guppies, panda corys, i like the look of the fish u have with the red nose and tail (think there rummy nose tetras) cherrys shrimps and may add a couple of others but not 100% so can change if not suitable as not thought about the fish yet. Also going to get some test strips to test the tap water etc

Back