• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help Fluval fresh&plant 2.0 vs Grobeam 600

Marius_20

Hi guys,

I need your help to upgrade the light from my tank. As you know, my tank was a lovely one, until march when i moved to the new house. From then...my tank is in my nice garage (carpet, heating, light, sockets etc), half with water and some plants from the old ones...some crypts, rotala rotundifolia and a tiny zosterifolia, 4 cory and 5 guppy.

At this moment i have the stock light, 2x18w t8 from the Eheim Aquapro tank, 126 L, 7h/day just to keep the last plants ok without fast growing or algae.

I want to buy a led unit, but i'm not sure what to buy?

I tried to order today the Fluval fresh&plant 2.0 32w but i wasn't sure if is good or not. The second option was Grobeam 600 twin pack 2x12w.

Fluval is 32w vs 24w from tmc grobeam.

Please let me know which one is better or if you have any other option....

My tank is 80cm long. I want to take out everything from the stock light from inside the hood and to make space there for the new led unit.

Do you think the fluval 2.0 ...46w will be a better option for my 126L tank? The only problem with this one will be that extra 11cm and i can't hide it all in the hood. Only if i will cut the hood in both sides and i will let out 5.5 cm from the unit in each side.

Tank is 80x35x45
Hood size(top) outside 75.5cm and 5-5.5 cm(h)space if i will need to cut it for the 46w version.
Fluval 32w is 61- 85cm
Fluval 46w is 91-122cm

It will be ok the 32w version for my tank to keep some red plants also?

At this moment i have 4 setups in my head:
1. One fluval f&p 2.0 32w
2. One fluval f&p 2.0 46w and i will cut the hood in both sides
3. One fluval f&p 2.0 32w in the center + twin grobeam 600 next month, one in the front and one in the back.
4. In the worst case ...One fluval f&p 2.0 46w suspended, but i don't like the idea with open top tank because my 2years old son maibe will try to "play" there.

Thank you,

Marius.

Hello, you cannot compare Fluval and Grobeam watt to watt, or led to led. TMC Grobeam have their own patented leds, you will not find those on other leds fixtures.

I am clearly biaised towards the Grobeams. They are assembled in UK and have the best warranty, 5 years. Fluval warranty is not bad either though, 3 years (but they will not service until at least 15% of the leds are dead, if i am correct). Most companies give only 1 year warranty.

2 Grobeams 600 for a 126L tank should be enough.

Michel.

As you don't sound particular attached to the existing hood, you might look at

TMC's Horizon series
- each tile offers 22w which would definitely allow you to grow pretty much anything in this tank (I'm assuming you're planning CO2)

Just looked back at your old thread New Beginning in London - 126L
if you're still running the stock filter, you may need to upgrade this as well (there's no flowrate listed on the Eheim page) for good water movement & CO2 distribution

Any chance you can look at some of these light options before ordering - look at where the light control is for the TMC & Fluval units before deciding how best to integrate these into the existing hood
Consider whether either can be run with a dimmer (I believe this fluval light has a "soft" start but not an intensity control)

If you and up swapping out everything on your existing tank, sometimes a newer kit that works "as is" (especially if lightly used) is a cheaper option

I will not use the stock filter, i have one all pond solution 1400 full with siporax, and i will have CO2 also.
Fluval will service the unit only if 5% of the leds are ded.
Fluval is having a dimming button but if i will integrate it into the hood it will not be easy to reach that button from outside. I'm not sure if the fluval unit is keeping the intensity setting if you have it on the timer. Let's say you want it at 80% and next day when is turned on by the timer will go 100% or 80 ?
I will go in one shop today and look at both of them. I'm afraid that 2 grobeam will not be enough for my tank and also i need a dimer for them. Any of you have the fluval ?

I've looked at the Fluval LEDs but haven't been convinced to purchase - I've been wanting to switch to LED on my 60 x 45 x 55(high) tank but that depth pretty much means Kessil type LED (I picked up a Current USA Satellite plus pro, but it was absurdly underpowered despite the 1w LEDs used)

Fluval is having a dimming button but if i will integrate it into the hood it will not be easy to reach that button from outside. I'm not sure if the fluval unit is keeping the intensity setting if you have it on the timer. Let's say you want it at 80% and next day when is turned on by the timer will go 100% or 80 ?
I suspected as much re the dimmer/control button
I'd email Fluval with your questions, I think there are some issues with how these lights work with timers - there should be a wifi controller out now for the light but then total cost will be significantly higher
These lights do get very hot so definitely talk to Fluval about running it inside a hood - this may void any warranty & I'd be concerned about safety, as well as tank heat

There's some discussion on them on plantedtank forum (lights had some decent promotions in the US to get them on the market)

20170822_175730.jpg 20170822_192700.jpg 20170822_195934.jpg 20170822_195130.jpg
Hi guys, sorry for not posting for a few days. Last weekend i bought a twin pack of Grobeam 600.
More than that i found 1 controller, 2 rails and a twin pack of Aquabeam 600 ultra blue for a good price and i took them also.
I moved my tank in the living room and i tried to fix the light fast. I can put 4 grobeams in my tank hood but first i need to cut all the stock parts there to make a nice job. In this moment i run with 2 grobeam 600 at 100% on the controller with 40 min ramp. I put the blue ones just to see how is with them light moonlight, but the hood with 4 aquarays + stock balast and other parts is heavy and for the moment i keep only 2 grobeam 600.
I will sell the blue ones and i will buy 2 more grobeam 600. Now i need to find a big co2 bottle to start the co2 injection. Until then 1 soda stream bottle should be ok. I will post more in the journal topic.
The picture with both light on is with the white grobeam on the controller at lower power. And the tank is now crystal clear :p

Thank you and all the best ;).

Back